Is this a reasonable horizontal band saw solution for a small shop?

Just my 2 cents, I own one of the G8692 saws and bought it many years ago at like a 3rd that price but I have been very pleased with it and it does a good job. I did change the vise as I didn't care for the setup the saw came with. I later bought a 4 X 6 used that was like new but it is an early buildt HF saw it also has been a good saw with some updating and adjustments previus owner always had trouble keeping blades from coming off but was all in the adjustments. So heres my thought for you to think about like I said I paid alot less for the saw from Grizzly but at the price now the 4 x 6 sure would be a better buy. the only thing I will say is that I use both of the saws I have. If I need a quick cut off of a smaller oiece I go to the small saw but than if it is a larger or thicker piece that is going to take some time to cut, I use the 4 X 6. If it for sure it is a space thing don't be afraid of the Grizzly, but the price is a bit high it will do what is within its means. Be your own judge as to what you need to get your job done and space available. Good luck but I feel they both have a place in my small shop.

I've been happy with my HF 4x6" bandsaw, it has more than paid for itself by now just in saved cutting fees. I would put the 4x6 bandsaw on my top 5 best things HF sells list. It has nearly doubled in price since I bought mine, but I think it is still a pretty good deal.

Agree buying a saw this size used, is often not a great savings as most are asking too close to new prices. If you have the space and some time, you can often find larger horizontal bandsaws for about the same price as the HF. I also have a 50 year old Kalamazoo 6x10" that I picked for $300. It is superior to the HF saw in just about every way, but is also in an entirely different class, being a larger industrial grade saw.

It sounds like most of you have far more patience than I do when it comes to machine performance and the continual need to make modifications before getting acceptable results. Almost to a person those with the HF or similar saws have reported having to make "modifications" or "improvements" before the machine will produce consistently acceptable results.

I must admit I do buy most of my machines from used equipment dealers. As such I expect to initially spend some time cleaning them and bringing them up to snuff. I may be cheap, but I do take into consideration the initial cost, the time needed for cleaning and repairs, and the cost of parts before making a purchase. I stick with industrial or commercial machines because of the initial build quality and the expectation that they can be restored to return to production quality with minimal expense. As far as total cost is concerned, I expect to have less in a completed machine than it would cost to purchase a new or nearly new similar size hobby grade machine.

I have limited time in the shop and would rather be making parts than repairing or upgrading machinery. Most of the machinery in my shop dates from the mid 1940's to the late 1980's. The newest is the Baileigh cold saw which was built in 2011. None of the machines have required more than normal scheduled maintenance since they were put into service.

As mentioned earlier the saws are some of the most used machines in the shop. They need to run unattended and produce quality cuts. I can't imagine having to baby sit a saw to get acceptable results. It would drive me nuts. There's nothing that bugs me worse than a machine that isn't functioning properly. I expect straight, on size cuts each and every time. I don't want to waste time squaring up crooked cuts or trimming parts to their proper length.

I can't think of any project I would undertake that would require cutting tubular stock bigger than 4" round or square, or solid stock bigger than 2", and this Grizzly "portable" with an accessory horizontal cutting frame seems to be able to do that. And it can be detached from the frame and used as a portable. Power seems pretty good--the 1HP claim is backed up by the 12.5-amp draw at 120VAC.

Right now, I use a repurposed cheapie miter saw turned into a metal chop saw with an abrasive blade, but it sure makes hot, ugly, and messy cuts.

Yes, I've investigated fixed horizontal metal-cutting bandsaws in my area, and nothing is that cheap. People want more than that even for a used Harbor Freight cheapie, about which reviews are mixed, and which probably is less powerful than this.

I have a vertical bandsaw already that will cut aluminum but it is not designed for steel, and of course does not make a good cut-off tool in any case.

Opinions?

Rick "recognizing that this is a compromise" Denney

I am just starting to learn to use a lathe and to get setup to do small projects. Here is my solution to a cutoff saw. It works great for what I need and it does not take a lot of space. With some modification I could use it as a band saw but now it is dedicated to a cutoff.

Attachments

• IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3434 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3434 - Copy.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 12
I'm in Canada, so I bought this:

KC-8377@1.jpg

Does what I need in my small home shop. Works great. There's only 2 things I don't like about it:

1. There's no trigger lock (you have to hold the trigger or strap it closed)
2. The work "clamp" doesn't hold very well and is loosening up over time. It seems to be wear as it can't really be compensated for. The clamp uses a simple knurled surface and a plate with a hole that you kind of "cam" to hold the knurled part of the rod. Pretty janky way of making a clamp which seems to be more concerned with being able to quickly move the clamp than longevity, I'll likely replace it with an ACME thread rod when it finally gives up the ghost. A couple extra seconds working the clamp to firmly hold the work is well worth the "hassle".

Last edited:
I bought this only due to space… when the shop is built I will get one of those floor standing 4”x6”. But this one has been working great for me.

But for some stuff, I still go to the handheld bandsaw that I have.

B96025A6-8737-4B61-87BE-7F6CDDEA9C79.jpeg

605C9A0A-BEC7-47EE-851A-BD5BCEF53952.jpeg

And made a table for it…

9D81370A-86D1-4D07-84E0-D547BE2DB2C2.jpeg

All this to say that the one from Grizzly looks like a great and flexible option for the price.

Last edited:
It sounds like most of you have far more patience than I do when it comes to machine performance and the continual need to make modifications before getting acceptable results. Almost to a person those with the HF or similar saws have reported having to make "modifications" or "improvements" before the machine will produce consistently acceptable results.
The HF saw takes virtually nothing to set up. Just a loosen, align, and tighten here or there. Mine took little more than an inspection and test before it was cutting square.
I must admit I do buy most of my machines from used equipment dealers.
Nothing wrong with that! Of course I'd rather have a serviceable commercial machine than a Chinese budget consumer machine. In this case, it's a lot of bang for the buck, like the HF tool boxes.

I must admit I do buy most of my machines from used equipment dealers. As such I expect to initially spend some time cleaning them and bringing them up to snuff. I may be cheap, but I do take into consideration the initial cost, the time needed for cleaning and repairs, and the cost of parts before making a purchase. I stick with industrial or commercial machines because of the initial build quality and the expectation that they can be restored to return to production quality with minimal expense. As far as total cost is concerned, I expect to have less in a completed machine than it would cost to purchase a new or nearly new similar size hobby grade machine.

I have limited time in the shop and would rather be making parts than repairing or upgrading machinery. Most of the machinery in my shop dates from the mid 1940's to the late 1980's. The newest is the Baileigh cold saw which was built in 2011. None of the machines have required more than normal scheduled maintenance since they were put into service.

As mentioned earlier the saws are some of the most used machines in the shop. They need to run unattended and produce quality cuts. I can't imagine having to baby sit a saw to get acceptable results. It would drive me nuts. There's nothing that bugs me worse than a machine that isn't functioning properly. I expect straight, on size cuts each and every time. I don't want to waste time squaring up crooked cuts or trimming parts to their proper length.
The King 5x6 horizontal I picked up, cut very straight right out of the box, and continues to do so. I can cut off a 1mm slice.
The tweaks I did:
1) adding an adjustable bar for the vise, to make it easy to clamp short objects
2) Added a table to support longer stock
3) Made a table for vertical use that can be installed or taken off in 5 seconds

They were dead simple to fabricate. None of these are necessary, but they do make using the saw a pleasure to work with.

The HF saw is good right out of the box. The only temp mods I have made is to add things like an angle plate to cut stuff that was way too large for the machine's rated capacity.

Back