Is there any other use for florecent light fixture ballasts?

PCBs are persistent environmental contaminants, but are low on the toxicity list. To get it into your bloodstream effectively, you would probably require a suppository. BTW, the Italian word for those is "innuendo."

As part of banning the use of PCBs, Tte EPA required that all ballasts manufactured be labeled as containing no PCBs: see here for a discussion regarding that. However, that may not have the force of law so it may no longer apply.

....At work if I am in a 480 cabinet and some one is nearby I tell them not to lick anything if I have to grab a tool or something. They think its funny but sometimes I wonder if one of them will one of these days the stuff they pull?...
Since you're warning them, one of the idiots not knowing any better just might decide to screw with you. Perhaps a "safe" demonstration might be in order? Seriously. Every shop has one of those.

Lock out tag out and don’t worry about any idiots nearby.

A departed friend was working on a machine at a local company, employed there. Locked out with his lock and tagged properly. He was elbow deep into it control panel. Meanwhile the a…..e foreman was not happy seeing the lock out etc and he CUT IT OFF and electrified the machine. My friend woke up in hospital, lucky was thrown back by the 440 volt. The foreman should of been fired on the spot, but buddy with president, a brown noser. He did get a few knuckle sandwiches off site.
It can be safer with a person for over watch as the world is full of idiots.
Pierre

Maybe you could wire up something like this old Erector set toy. It works really well, gets your attention and demonstrates how old points & condensers worked.

Bruce

page053.jpg

Somehow, I don't think I'll attract many friends (outside the internet, anyway) by asking them if they'd like to come over and play with my Erector electric thriller with me. I bet the fun really starts when the penny in the saucer of water comes out. Bonus points to the young boy or girl who recommends adding a little salt to the water.

Worked at a place that had a similar incident of a foreman cutting lock-outs off. The victim was a normally quiet good guy. When the hospital and physical therapists finally released him he was a changed man. Some fools just don't realize the ramifications of their actions. He took his own life a little later.

One time when I was working on an electronic organ, the customer turned it on. Fortunately, nothing happened. After that, I built a box that the organ is plugged into. It had a fuse, switch and other goodies for troubleshooting. The point is now I had complete control.
I did the same thing with my lathe and mill. On the right side of each machine is a "master box" that contain a master power switch. Besides the switch, the box contains three ac plug-ins and the lights above the machine are hard wired. That way when I turn on the main switch, the lights turn on and I know power is being sent to the machine. If I need to work on the lathe or mill, I simply unplug the machine, since it is so convenient, Yet I still have my lights. These are 110-volt machines, but you guys with 220 units could probably come up with something similar.

Back