Is there any other use for florecent light fixture ballasts?

Our plant had all 283 2 bays swapped to led and the units were wired to new electronic ballasts. I ask the contractor why ballasts and his reply was to avoid line voltage shocking a service person. That is all I got.
Pierre
that's stupid. a quality converted unit goes A/C to a driver. Does that mean that changing bulbs on a incandescent was dangerous to the service people. Did they stick their fingers in the socket. notice no question marks... it's retorical. Using a ballast on a new LED is STUPID.. yes I am yelling.

(sheepishly) I know I'm not using the old ballast on mine. :)

To say electrical work is an "esoteric" subject is the understatement of the last couple of centuries. When a man has memorized the NEMA wiring tables, he can then acquire an Electrician's License in many states. Those people I consider "wiremen", my dog "Rascal" is as much an "electrician" as they are. Maybe more so, he knows to not urinate on an electric fence. Many newer Electrical Engineers are no longer taught about magnetism beyond the basics. And electricity revolves (pun intended) around magnetism. Many companies hire Electronic Engineers just to program relay "ladder" logic. An "electrician" is expected to know ladder logic. Engineers are expected to design relays, electricians should know how to use them. The state feels that anybody that can change a fuse is an electrician. I am most glad to be a retired "old school" electrician so I don't have to put up with the "wire twisters".

End of Rant

(sheepishly) I know I'm not using the old ballast on mine. :)
No need to explain. It was clear to me, if you were using the ballast then you would know they were still there. If you bypassed you may or may not have left the ballast in the housing. The ones I took down to upgrade the ballast is gone, some of the ones I did in place I just bypassed it and left it. Not a big deal to remove, or leave.

Make sure it is a place that recycles copper and electric motors. My place counts ballasts as electric motors and gives that price for them. About 30 cents a pound last time I went.

Make sure it is a place that recycles copper and electric motors. My place counts ballasts as electric motors and gives that price for them. About 30 cents a pound last time I went.
Thank you for the tip.

Just an afterthought on the subject, OP has already conceded to scrapping them. The older ballasts contain an oil that contains PCBs. PCBs are on the EPA's hit list. Given the opportunity, I would spread the oil up and down the main highway through town (US-11) just to stir things up a little. I am so old that any contact with PCBs doesn't scare me. Along side a plethore of other chemicals that are as or more dangerous. And the nuclear test source I used to carry in my pocket as I went up the cupola. . .

The actual thought here is that "magnetic" ballasts, the non-electronic type, contain a goodly supply of small, enameled wire. The enamel will crack as it is unwound, but it is still good copper. It will be easier to recover than the windings from a dead fan motor. And a damn sight cheaper than spooled, new wire of the same size. Anyone interested in winding solenoids (or Tesla coils) should look into the recovery.

Back