Is It Possible To Make One Of These?

I have swaged the edge of several ball detents when making custom socket rails. A slightly oversized pin punch worked well on flat stock. May need to machine a matching radius for proper hold on the round stock. For what it's worth I never bored the holes I simply drilled them with a cordless drill inserted spring then detent ball (BB) and swaged with a proper sized pin punch

So will I have to swage with hg smaller diameter on the inside or outside?

By that I mean when your looking at it, will it look like a dome or like a crater?

So will I have to swage with hg smaller diameter on the inside or outside?

By that I mean when your looking at it, will it look like a dome or like a crater?

More like a defined bur around the edge of the hole on the outside of the part. A slightly oversized pin punch and a few good whacks from a BFH did it for me.

More like a defined bur around the edge of the hole on the outside of the part. A slightly oversized pin punch and a few good whacks from a BFH did it for me.
Oh yeah I get what you mean, and then would the O ring hold the balls in place?

No the o ring isn't necessary to hold the ball. The burr on the edge you form keeps the ball from falling out. For your part proper design would keep the cone from going to deep and forcing it out.

Ahhhh yes I get it now, I had myself thinking the wrong way around, that picture makes a world of sense.

And yeah the come design will be crucial, it may take a little bit of trial and error but I'll get there. Thanks heaps for your help

image.jpg
I think this image captures how the ball is pushed to the bottom of the swaged hole underneath a plate very effectively.

View attachment 119175 I needed some practice with using primitive solids in Fusion 360 anyway lol
It would probable be easier to make with 4 balls rather than 3 so you could just cross drill all the way through and rotate 90* and repeat.
This worked out pretty well dimensionally. The balls are 2mm, the body is 10mm. the threaded section is 8mm x 1.0mm, and the knurl is 12mm. The plunger is 7mm giving 0.5mm of ball travel. It will clamp a hole up to just under 11mm in diameter, though a 10mm hole is the nominal size.

4 balls will not work as there will allways be one ball that does not make the same contact the others do
hence three legged tables, three jaw chucks etc.

the drawing is not depicting the ficture shown in the pictures
it is essentialy a three piece thing
first the tube like shape with the three holes for the balls AND a thread around the top
second the knurled ring that goes over the tube shape, meant for hight adjustement
third the inner part with the cone and the hex that is used to extend the balls

Last edited:
heres a good insight, explains a lot. My question still is how they get the balls inside? and how they can champher the hole inside out so the balls dont fall out? :confused::dejected:

Last edited:
Back