Is it ok to sharpen HSS lathe tools on a belt sander?

You're going to hate this... Here's a 3rd option...

I have a small swivel head vise that clamps to the mag plate on the surface grinder. You can put any angle you want with extreme precision. -Probably not good for roughing out but perfect for really fine-tuning.

And in all honesty, I only experimented with this once and don't know that I have the need to make it a permanent procedure but, if I ever need a really precision style bit, I know how I'll approach it.

Ray

I have heard differing opinions on this. On the Darrell Holland lathe video from AGI he uses a belt sander (very high quality).
Some suggest that the bits will come out "rounded".

What is YOUR opinion? Belt sander vs. 2-Wheel bench Grinder for grinding HSS tool bits?

Thanks,

Nelson

I originally was going to make an auxiliary grinder table (per one of the Workshop Practice Series books) but I find this easier.
I use a 1x42 belt sander (there are 1x30 inch versions as well but I have not used one). Mine has a tilting table & a protractor to achieve the necessary tilt-in-2-directions for clearance angles. There is also a backup platen. As well - at least for me - this runs more slowly than the knife grinding 2 inch wide belt machines. Decades ago the shop instructor used to grind freehand but this way gets the job done.

There is a wide selection of grits that can produce mirror finishes. Have a look at http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=48040&cat=1,43072 for a discussion of abrasives available & their uses.

I have a belt GRINDER. They run much faster than belt sanders(which are for wood),and are for metal. They run so fast they will easily burn wood. Mine is a Wilton Square Wheel grinder,and it is much better than a bench grinder. The belt is 72" long,and helps carry away heat better than a 6" grinding wheel. Knife makers use belt grinders for removing lots of stock.

Blue (Zirconia) belts cost a bit more,but they do cut faster and cooler. I have gotten a little more life out of coarse ones by dragging a diamond dresser across a running belt. It breaks the rounded particles and makes them sharp again (sort of),like you dress a wheel. There isn't the thickness to dress like you have with a wheel,but it does freshen up a belt some.

I turned my bench grinder into a belt grinder a few years ago, and haven't missed the bench grinder yet. I don't have a platen so I grind on the wheel; not ideal, but no different than a grinding wheel.

Back