Is it ok to sharpen HSS lathe tools on a belt sander?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I have heard differing opinions on this. On the Darrell Holland lathe video from AGI he uses a belt sander (very high quality).
Some suggest that the bits will come out "rounded".

What is YOUR opinion? Belt sander vs. 2-Wheel bench Grinder for grinding HSS tool bits?

Thanks,

Nelson

If you use a belt sander make sure that you have a steel platen behind the belt, this will all but stop any rounding of the edges. The main reason that the edges will round out is if the belt is allowed to curve behind the bit. Also use guides whenever possible to prevent rocking the bit, as that will cause rounding, whether you use a grinder or a sander.

Walter

Re: Is it ok to sharpening HSS lathe tools on a belt sander?

It's all in the technique. Of course you can use a belt sander. Just use it right. ;) Walter gave a good summary.

If I am working with a new tool blank or changing the shape of the tool I will start out with the belt grinder then finish up on the wheel. The belt is 80 grit, so it removes metal quickly without a lot of heat buildup. I built the belt grinder from the plans sold at LMS. I forgot to post the pictures.

Ive been using a beltsander for yrs. In the beginning, I didnt have a grinder, and used the belt sander. I still use it to this day. 40 grit for roughing, 80- 120 grit to finish it off, then stone it for a nice keen edge.
Right or wrong, its worked for me since 1983

Cheers
Paul

I use a belt sander and have for years. I turned on the grinder the other day for the first time in 5 or 6 years just to make sure it still works. :)
Bobby

Hi Nelson,
I like the belt sander much better than a bench grinder. As long as you have a non-flexing platen, preferably a very flat one overlaid with a ceramic glass liner (Pyroceram, like the knife grinders use), there is no rounding of the edge I've been able to detect. I admit that I haven't looked at it with an electron microscope to ascertain that but I can't see any rounding with a 20X scope - and I was looking hard for it. I really don't agree with the rounded edge argument unless the user used a machine with a bad or moving platen or was in the slack belt area.

I use AlOx belts, usually 24 grit to shape and 60-80 grit to remove coarse marks, then hone on a diamond stone. I find that stick wax makes a major difference in how cool and fast the belt cuts and in how long they last. Typically, a 24 grit belt will hog off steel without heating the bit very much. A typical 3/8 HSS bit takes less than 5 minutes of grinding time to make so its also pretty fast.

I find a good grinding table that can be set to precise angles quickly and easily is far more useful than jigs. Not saying you shouldn't use a jig; just that I don't find them necessary for myself.

I should add that those little 1" belt sanders don't usually have a solid platen mount; the platen is usually held on one end only. I suggest avoiding those. At minimum, I think your belt sander should have at least 1/2HP or more or you'll bog down when rough shaping.

Mikey

No the lathe bit police will descend on you and give you a severe warning! nah! just joshing ya!

I sharpen my drill bits on the linisher and on occasion the HSS lathe bits and seem to be able to get the angles I require.
I find that with the linisher I can go to a finer grit belt in moments but that's obviously harder with the bench grinder.
Hope it helps
Oz

Back