Is it normal for lathe tailstock drill to lift up when contacting work?

I have had that happen as well, but with a 12" long box wrench and a 4 ft long pipe cheater, I can get it tight enough that it does not slip. I rarely turn the tool block to odd angles, so there is little inconvenience in tightening it that tight, and really no danger in breaking anything since all is in compression.

my opinion is that it's mostly quill related there's a bit of sag from gravity and over time more wear. Even a new machine I have watched (video) the longer bit pick up. So I don't think it's a worn machine only. I think there is a certain amount of clearance that winds up magnifying.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

It is a number of factors that add up to being below or off center, including sag and wear to the quill and its bore in the tailstock and wear on the sole of the tailstock, perhaps not so much of wear on the ways themselves, that far back on the bed, a lot of misalignment can be from the drill chuck and the drills themselves.; using a spotting drill first will make a large difference in getting the drill started true running.

Center drills are not the best tool to start drills with, as the pilot drill frequently breaks, especially in the smaller sizes and to 60 degree angle on the body diameter is not ideal to start a normal drill point angle on. As has been said several times on this forum, spotting drills are a much better choice, as there is no pilot to break off and the angle better matches the drill point angle. Again, the proper tool for the job.

I disagree. Center drills work fine to spot holes, but if you're spotting with a center drill, just like a spotting drill, only the point goes in. The pilot and the center feature never go into the work.

I have chuck adaptors for my QCTPs on 2 lathes. I do not use them because they cause the entire tool post to rotate under drilling forces.
Push the right hand side of the toolholder with the face of the tailstock quill to keep it square.

Keep in mind with welding, that ALL steel and aluminum will move and warp as it welds. Even 1/2 steel plate will warp and pull if too much heat is put into a smaller spot. Its unavoidable.

Now, how much warpage is acceptable depends on how the piece will be used and whether or not its clamped in a jig.

I drill on the lathe so I can get a boring tool in to center and finish the actual hole to finished size. I also fond that the drill bit itself also often has some “flex” to it (at least the smaller sizes) so it will warble around until it gets a good bite. Even with a center drilled point.

Make sure tour tailstock is centered, a spool or 2 collar test can be used.

An imperfect drill can do all kinds of dancing on the end.

If you face the end and your cutter is on center you will have micro rings on the end with a tiny bump maybe.

A center drill is short and stubby, larger better than smaller.

If you use anything else, the drill length will allow flex, the tip of the bit may ride one the imperfections in the surface and do a dance until it grabs and cuts.

A drill chuck may not be straight either.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

But maybe there is a simplier reason than adjusting your lathe.

We have probably all observed this lift even when we can assume the tail stock is aligned to the center line, the chuck is straight, and the drill bit is not bent. The drill point should touch at the center of rotation.

Flute cutting surfaces are not perfect. Consider a two fluted bit. So on very shallow cuts, i.e. at the beginning of the cut the longest cutting edge engages first and if the dept rate is slow then this is the only flute that actually cuts. This then would cause the drill bit to be pulled to the side asymmetrically. If both flute cutting edges are perfectly matched they touch at the same time and cut at the same rate and the side pulling would be equal. Then the force on the drill bit would be a symmetrically induced torque. If you have a weak or loose hold on the bit you will find that sometimes it is not a lift up, but a pull downward or towards a side. If the chuck mount is loose and the drill bit is long you will actually see wobble.

When the two sides of a cutter are not matched you will commonly see the spiraling cut waste coming from only one flute. When they are perfectly matched you will see both spirals coming off equal. However, if the cut is shallow (low feed rate) this is rare! The cutting edges are commonly not perfectly matched and this is another reason to know the depth of cut rate (feed rate). If only one flute is cutting it is common that the other side is just rubbing and generating heat and quickly getting duller. If the plunge rate is such that both flutes (even unequal flutes) are engaged there is less of the sideways pulling, heat, and the bit stays sharp longer.

Experiment to run. Choose a poor quality drill bit that has unequal length flutes (one does not cut). Put the bit in the tale stock, after facing the material to be drilled then, using a low RPM, start the cut and observe the pull. Now repeat the process after the drill bit has been rotated 45, 90, 180 etc degrees and observe which way the pull happens. (If you really want to see the effect use a long small diameter drill bit. It won't have to lift the tail stock, as it can easily deflect/bend.) The larger diameter, stiffness, of center drills are are largely why they are used. Also another reason to purchase good drill bits and to start the actual drilling with a short stiff bit.

For those of us that only have grinder to sharpen tools with, sharpening smaller drill bits (~<1/4") to have equal flutes is virtually impossible. A good machine to do this with is quite expensive ($K, not unreasonable) and one can purchase a lot of small bits for the machine cost! As they dull I move these bits from the machine shop to the wood working shop and then finally to the catch all where about all I use them for is drilling in plaster!

Trick: By the way, my 90+ year old house has really hard plaster and on the outside ways this plaster is placed directly on tile blocks. To hang picture is a challenge. If you start to drill into this stuff (masonry drill bits) you will find that the bit commonly walks around and locates to a low or soft spot. The trick I have found is to start out by running the drill backwards so that the drill bit just rubs creating the low spot where you want the hole. (You can do this with a worn down bit.) I guess you could call this grinding the starting spot!

Dave L.

a center drill is made to drill a hole for a live center; that is what the small tip is for. a spotting drill is made for spotting a hole that is to be drilled with a drill. if you try a spotting drill you will probably eliminate the problem, i did.

Back