Internal Threading

rwm, if you find the compound interferes with the work with the way it's set in the diagram, you can always turn it around 180deg. It helps to visualise which side of the cutter is doing the most work, then you simply angle the compound to feed that edge into the work.

Reactions: rwm
Don't let yourself be intimidated, its not all that hard to do; practice makes (almost) perfect. I see so many on this site acting like everything must be perfect! Put that aside, there is such a thing as "perfect enough" That is why on drawings of parts, there are tolerances.
I got that lecture last week from my good friend who has been running a successful shop for near 40 years. I think for us less experienced it can be hard to know what "perfect enough" is. It's hard to be sure which details to worry over. I think he got a little mad at me for checking and complaining about a D1 taper. He said something about me needing to have someone else check my work to understand how humiliating it can be. his words also included "that's what tolerances ar for". I tend to gain my experience from finding out when I'm wrong. I do get a fair amount of practice.

1. on the point of spelling, the language is English, so therefore, the English spelling should be the preferred method.

2. Threading, as an apprentice I was taught to keep the compound slide parallel to the bed, and use the cross slide only for infeed, I was also taught about the 29.5 deg method as being useful on small lathes that lack rigidity. As most of our lathes were in the 24 to 20 inch swing rigidity was not a problem.

Joe Pieczynski Does a very good Youtube video on internal threading. He has also recently done a series on making a model steam engine, in fact it's not quite finished, each part is a separate video. Each segment is presented in a manner that will teach how to set up particular types of parts. The man is a master machinist, and his methods and setups are a pleasure to watch.

By the way Joe has recently become a member of HM.

1. on the point of spelling, the language is English, so therefore, the English spelling should be the preferred method.

2. Threading, as an apprentice I was taught to keep the compound slide parallel to the bed, and use the cross slide only for infeed, I was also taught about the 29.5 deg method as being useful on small lathes that lack rigidity. As most of our lathes were in the 24 to 20 inch swing rigidity was not a problem.

Joe Pieczynski Does a very good Youtube video on internal threading. He has also recently done a series on making a model steam engine, in fact it's not quite finished, each part is a separate video. Each segment is presented in a manner that will teach how to set up particular types of parts. The man is a master machinist, and his methods and setups are a pleasure to watch.

By the way Joe has recently become a member of HM.
Joe's videos are excellent. I have learned many things from him which I use all the time. The steam engine thing seems weird because of Blondi Hacks, a new hobby machinist who is smart also but without the professional experience. Quinn did the main casting and Joe did a spectacular job of showing an alternative setup and measuring strategy which was eye opening for me. I was suprised he didn't acknowledge her and provide a little praise in the spirit of camaraderie. The two videos back to back was fantastic for me because I was trying to mentally solve to problem "with" Quinn and then seeing a pro carefully explain a cool way to do it that I had never considered was wonderful. Why he just built the whole thing I can understand. I'm missing something, I am sure but as a result I have lost some interest in watching his videos. thats a little sad because he is one of the top teachers on YouTube and is very practical.

Last edited:
Sigh...I'll probably just go back to tap and die....
R

I have an economical Shars 0-1” thread micrometer. I have used it a whole lot, and it has never come up short. It comes with 3 tips, so you’re covered there:

FWIW I use the compound handwheel for external threads (I am 29.5° guy) & the cross slide handwheel for internal threads (i.e. I don’t use any compound feeding for internal threads). Disclaimer: I am a noob.

Last edited:
FWIW I use the compound handwheel for external threads (I am 29.5° guy) & the cross slide handwheel for internal threads (i.e. I don’t use any compound feeding for internal threads). Disclaimer: I am a noob.

I do it the same way as Erik. I use Micro 100 internal bars for small diameters and inserted carbide for larger ones and it works just fine using the cross slide, including Class 3 threads.

Boring bar upside down?
I need to try that also.
Robert

Edit:
NO- boring bar right side up, reverse rotation, feed out. Yes?

Correct. Reverse rotation, boring bar right side up, cuts on top of the tool. Piecea Cake.

Joe's videos are excellent. I have learned many things from him which I use all the time. The steam engine thing seems weird because of Blondi Hacks, a new hobby machinist who is smart also but without the professional experience. Quinn did the main casting and Joe did a spectacular job of showing an alternative setup and measuring strategy which was eye opening for me. I was suprised he didn't acknowledge her and provide a little praise in the spirit of camaraderie. The two videos back to back was fantastic for me because I was trying to mentally solve to problem "with" Quinn and then seeing a pro carefully explain a cool way to do it that I had never considered was wonderful. Why he just built the whole thing I can understand. I'm missing something, I am sure but as a result I have lost some interest in watching his videos. thats a little sad because he is one of the top teachers on YouTube and is very practical.
If you read the comments on some of his previous videos, he offered her advice on something and she took offense. Even banned him from commenting on her videos.

If you read the comments on some of his previous videos, he offered her advice on something and she took offense. Even banned him from commenting on her videos.
I don't like to focus on Drama but I may have to look into that because there is something going on I don't like. I'd rather not harbor incorrect bad feelings. I read something on he Blog asking to not have things "Mansplained" to her. I really enjoyed watching a novice working through something and particularly when the better way isnt clear to me and then seeing a pro or anyone with a clever different approach show their way. Super useful.

Sounds about right. Some women are easily offended. and she is one of them. Puts herself up there as a know it all, but she is really quite an amature.

I much prefer Joe's style any way, he explains things in a very natural way and his expertise is without peer on these forums.

Back