Internal Threading

Cutting on the backside is a good method, especially if you are working in a blind hole, the tool cutting face is upward and you start in a recess in the bottom of the hole and feed outwards wit reverse rotation; if you have the tool facing down, there is the tendency for the tool to lift in the cut, especially in light machines, another thing is that if cutting with the tool facing up in reverse rotation with a threaded on chuck, it can loosen and start coming off the spindle.

Actually several thread mikes, in zero to one inch, there are three to cover the range of pitches encountered.
With a tight chuck, light cuts and slow speed, it is possible.
Been there, done that.

I know all the accepted wisdom is to use the 29.5/30 degree setting on the compound and when I started I also used that method.
I do understand the reasoning behind that system but since I replaced the compound with a solid plinth I have found that threading at 90 degrees is not a problem.
Admittedly I very rarely thread larger than M2.5 but have made a couple of M4 threads both internal and external.
I do hone the bits and ensure they are very sharp and a mere touch to just flatten the tip. Most materials I thread are stainless predominately with some mild steel and heaps of aluminium.

I have always threaded the chuck on my 19" lathe hard up, but still have nearly lost the chuck several times when using reverse as a brake; I quickly went back to forward and screwed it back on; a 10" 3 jaw has quite a bit of inertia!

I know all the accepted wisdom is to use the 29.5/30 degree setting on the compound and when I started I also used that method.
I do understand the reasoning behind that system but since I replaced the compound with a solid plinth I have found that threading at 90 degrees is not a problem.
Admittedly I very rarely thread larger than M2.5 but have made a couple of M4 threads both internal and external.
I do hone the bits and ensure they are very sharp and a mere touch to just flatten the tip. Most materials I thread are stainless predominately with some mild steel and heaps of aluminium.
I am told that the Germans have their own method of threading, they position the compound at 90 degrees to the cross slide and feed in with the cross slide just so much, and then feed in axially with the compound a certain amount. BTW, our spell check says that your spelling of (aluminum) is incorrect ---Ha, Ha!

I set the compound to 60.5 deg. on my Grizzly G0709 for internal threading; compound is flipped 180 from what the diagram above shows. One issue for me is the knobs on the compound run into the coolant line and carriage light. Not a big deal to unscrew them and turn the knob by hand.

Bruce

I flip the compound around to the back side and go 1/2 degree past a 30 deg. thread form
CIMG3544.JPG

CIMG3546aaa.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone knows its much easier to thread aluminium than aluminum...why do you think the Brits and Aussies use it?
Bruce- thanks- that's what I want to try.
Robert

"Davy's spelling aluminum is consistent with the Latin naming of metals, which end in -um, e.g. aurum (gold), argentum (silver), ferrum (iron),[114] naming newly discovered elements by replacing a -a or -ite suffix in the oxide's name with -um: lanthanum was named for its oxide lanthana, magnesium for magnesia, tantalum for tantalite, molybdenum for molybdenite (also known as molybdena), cerium for ceria, and thorium for thoria, respectively. As aluminium's oxide is called alumina, not aluminia, the -ium spelling does not follow this pattern. However, other newly discovered elements of the time had names with a -ium suffix, such as potassium, sodium, calcium, and strontium.

In 1812, British scientist Thomas Young[115] wrote an anonymous review of Davy's book, in which he proposed the name aluminium instead of aluminum, which he felt had a "less classical sound".[116] This name did catch on: while the -um spelling was occasionally used in Britain, the American scientific language used -ium from the start.[117] Most scientists used -ium throughout the world in the 19th century;[118] it still remains the standard in many other Latin-based languages where the name has the same origin.[113] In 1828, American lexicographer Noah Webster used exclusively the aluminum spelling in his American Dictionary of the English Language.[119] In the 1830s, the -um spelling started to gain usage in the United States; by the 1860s, it had become the more common spelling there outside science.[117] In 1892, Hall used the -um spelling in his advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents he filed between 1886 and 1903. It was subsequently suggested this was a typo rather than intended.[113] By 1890, both spellings had been common in the U.S. overall, the -ium spelling being slightly more common; by 1895, the situation had reversed; by 1900, aluminum had become twice as common as aluminium; during the following decade, the -um spelling dominated American usage.[120] In 1925, the American Chemical Society adopted this spelling.[120]

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990.[121] In 1993, they recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant;[121] the most recent 2005 edition of the IUPAC nomenclature of inorganic chemistry acknowledges this spelling as well.[122] IUPAC official publications use the -ium spelling as primary but list both where appropriate.[h]"

I think since the Americans invented English we should determine these things?
Robert

Damn- Hijacked my own thread again....

Never miond the spelling, I think you're all making too much of tool position. A good threading tool has no back side. Just set the compound as you would for OD threading and without changing it use a boring bar, reverse rotation (if your chuck is locked) and feed out for internal treads. If you fit the threads to standards, (shop made or otherwise) they'll be fine. The professionals don't switch the compound around for internal threads. I know, I was one for almost 30 years and never even thought about it. I wasn't trained to do it.

Boring bar upside down?
I need to try that also.
Robert

Edit:
NO- boring bar right side up, reverse rotation, feed out. Yes?
R

Last edited:
Back