Intermediate sized holes, how to make them (what tool)?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Was thinking of making a 5C collet holder for my tool drawer. Seems the right size hole is 1.25". This is above the hole size one can comfortably drill with my PM25. My design has 40 holes, with 4 columns of 10 holes. What is the right tool to make these holes? Material is 1/8" thick 6061, 15.25" long and 6 inches wide, because I have some. Biggest drill I have is 1/2" at the moment.

Ok, enablers, what do you suggest? What's the most cost effective solution? The answers might not agree.

Carbide tipped hole saw.

Slowest speed you can go.

All of your strength down force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Carbide tipped hole saw.

Slowest speed you can go.

All of your strength down force.

Can you get a decent hole with a hole saw? My experience with them isn't that good, but I have never tried a hole saw in a mill.

Buy a good one.

Proper control as well.

Another option is start with hole saw then finish with step drill to bevel and make final size or use boring bar.

Drill hole then switch to boring bar to finish.

40 ton punch press. Unfortunately not available at Home Depot. They do have hole saws however :cupcake:
-Mark
I had thought about a punch, but it might be tricky with the holes so close to each other. The holes are 1.25" diameter separated by 1.500".

So far, 2 votes for hole saw, 1 for a 40 ton punch press. In my shop, the hole saw is the more practical of the two. :)

You could bore them to size,but it would take for ever. An annular cutter like what is used in mag. base drills would be the cats meow,but they are pricey. Maybe a standard hole saw with boring to finish size. Lots of ways to do it. How much time verses how much money do you want to spend.

You could bore them to size,but it would take for ever. An annular cutter like what is used in mag. base drills would be the cats meow,but they are pricey. Maybe a standard hole saw with boring to finish size. Lots of ways to do it. How much time verses how much money do you want to spend.
The hole saws I'm familiar with have huge teeth for cutting wood, with 8 TPI. I'd be a little frightened to use something like that on a relatively thin swiss cheese plate. Now, with 24 or 32 TPI, I'd try it.

Electrical knockout punch (aka chassis punch)? Greenlee makes some as do others and 1-1/4” size is commonly available. Rated for 10ga steel so might do 1/8” aluminum? I’d wonder about potential distortion though if the holes are closely spaced.

-frank

D43F324E-8044-4CCF-8AF0-CEE9D763EEF4.jpeg

Back