Interesting thread about reamers expanded

Thanks Tony, I'll start with a simple tool. The 60 degree thread set up tool thats referred to as the fish tail. I've used the tool to set up my lathe bit to cut threads. I have successfully cut threads on the lathe & have compared my cut threads to some " professional" cut threads & could not see any difference in the two sets of threads, however the "professional" could tell what the three different size female 60 degree vees are for, why it has one 60 degree male vee, what the number chart on the tool means & how to use the tool properly to get the most bennefit out of the tool.
BTW Tony I've always enjoyed reading your answers & comments to the different post in the past. You've always given a professional opinion on different subjects in the past without coming on as being the "authority " on the subject. This is an attribute that I admire & respect & I'm sure others do too. With this being said let "fish tail 101" begin. Any teachers available to start the class session ?
Phil

First thing I would warn people about was, don't buy a cheapo thread gauge, or "fishmouth". Here's a good one that will last for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-C391-Degree-Center-Gage/dp/B0002CSBN4/ref=pd_sbs_indust_8

I still have one I bought in the 50s, and taken good care of.
The explanation of the different sized Vs...is something I could show you in person in about 2 minutes.

For me though, it takes too damn long to type out a full description of it's many uses.:whistle:

I'm sure someone will be able to type it all out.

OK, go really basic. The care and feeding of the common SCREWDRIVER aka, prybar, punch, chisle etc. Have at it kids.

"Billy G"

I like the kind of screw errr punch with the clear yellow handles. When ya beat the crap outta them with the hammer (Crescent wrench) they make the cutest little shards that just go everywhere. giggle giggle, that ones fer you Bill. Have a great day.
Bob

I've drilled out the handles on my snap-on screw drivers and filled them with Black power. Inserted a primer and waiting for the next guy to use my screw drivers as a chisle :nono:

Frank

Frank,

That would be a great project to post. :lmao: I think most of us could use one of them around the shop for "guest".

Jeff

First thing I would warn people about was, don't buy a cheapo thread gauge, or "fishmouth". Here's a good one that will last for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-C391-Degree-Center-Gage/dp/B0002CSBN4/ref=pd_sbs_indust_8

I still have one I bought in the 50s, and taken good care of.
The explanation of the different sized Vs...is something I could show you in person in about 2 minutes.

For me though, it takes too damn long to type out a full description of it's many uses.:whistle:

I'm sure someone will be able to type it all out.

I know how to use it for setting the bit at 90 degrees to the work, but that's it.
I'd certainly like to know the answers to the previous questions asked by Phil.
Does anyone have a link to a good explanation?

M

May I suggest we start a new thread for each tool with a very clear tittle so it's easily searchable & just use this thread to maybe suggest any new topics or ideas.

I vote for Phil's idea of the "Fish Tale"

May I suggest we start a new thread for each tool with a very clear tittle so it's easily searchable & just use this thread to maybe suggest any new topics or ideas.

I vote for Phil's idea of the "Fish Tale"

I agree. I'll start one using Phil's original post with the title "The Fish Tail 60 Degree Thread Gauge", and put it in the 'General Machining Questions and Answers' forum.

Maybe Tony could move it if that's the wrong place.

Last edited:
froneck: thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess it's good that even after watching Mr Pete's videos I don't think I'm an expert. One of the reasons that machining interests me as a hobby is because of the never ending learning curve.

froneck: thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess it's good that even after watching Mr Pete's videos I don't think I'm an expert. One of the reasons that machining interests me as a hobby is because of the never ending learning curve.
Just riffing on this subject........even sharpening
screwdrivers can be a challenge-- there are precise standards for screw slots and
the drivers to fit them..........BLJHB.

Back