Interesting thread about reamers expanded

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
The thread about reamers was obviously very interesting & educational, with that in mind I think it would be nice to have a section that 1 tool is explained in depth so we can use them properly & know if we really have a use for them. There are tons of simple tools I own/used that I really don't know either how to use properly or their capabilities/limitations. I think there are others in the same boat who may be too embarrassed to ask how to use a simple tool.

What say ye?

Interesting idea, Charley. Fraught with opportunities for people to get crossways, but I can see the usefulness. I guess I, for one, sort of take it for granted how to use tools, but I can definitely see where it could help many people. Not that I know everything about every tool, but I'm sure I know things I could pass along to newcomers to the trade.

We'll have to keep it under control, like pick a tool and not start another until it has been exhaustively covered. But then, I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

+1
As a total novice this is very interesting to me. When I see Mr Pete (aka Tubalcain) on youtube demonstrate how he uses a reamer, for me, that's the way I should do it since he has some sense of authority (in my mind). I don't know enough to see what he could be doing wrong or better another way. froneck alluded to this in one of his posts.
Maybe a demonstration too :)

Thanks,
Bill

I'm with Charley, there's a lot to learn & most of the time I'm to embarresed to ask so I find myself turning to the Internet , goggleing the related topic trying to learn & like Nolo mentioned if I don't know anything about the subject then I don't know if the " expert" on the Internet is teaching the correct way or not. We all know that bad habits are hard to break. I've enjoyed the Tubilcain videos & the turn wright machine shop videos &others on the net. The Machine Shop Trade Secrets book by Mr James Harvey was one of my favorite books for learning in the beginning when I got started with the hobby in fact I still find myself picking up the book & getting information on different topics. Most of the stuff that I make for myself or friends & family will never have to be closer than 3 zeros but it would be wise to learn from the guy that has made his living consistently holding tolerences from 3 to 4 zeros.
I think Charley's got a great idea & I think there's enough talented & experienced machinist that could help &would help.
Let's here what you have to say?
Phil

OK....so someone pick a tool and let's see how this goes. Suggest something fairly basic, something that isn't available with a million variations, like carbide Inserts, or end mills. We can get to those eventually, but I think something simpler to start with.

OK, go really basic. The care and feeding of the common SCREWDRIVER aka, prybar, punch, chisle etc. Have at it kids.

"Billy G"

OK....so someone pick a tool and let's see how this goes. Suggest something fairly basic, something that isn't available with a million variations, like carbide Inserts, or end mills. We can get to those eventually, but I think something simpler to start with.

Thanks Tony, I'll start with a simple tool. The 60 degree thread set up tool thats referred to as the fish tail. I've used the tool to set up my lathe bit to cut threads. I have successfully cut threads on the lathe & have compared my cut threads to some " professional" cut threads & could not see any difference in the two sets of threads, however the "professional" could tell what the three different size female 60 degree vees are for, why it has one 60 degree male vee, what the number chart on the tool means & how to use the tool properly to get the most bennefit out of the tool.
BTW Tony I've always enjoyed reading your answers & comments to the different post in the past. You've always given a professional opinion on different subjects in the past without coming on as being the "authority " on the subject. This is an attribute that I admire & respect & I'm sure others do too. With this being said let "fish tail 101" begin. Any teachers available to start the class session ?
Phil

Sorry Mr Billy G,by the time I read Tonys reply & got my post typed & sent, you had already posted. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful just a slow typer.
Phil

Back