Instrument oil what do you use

Can bad oil in a micrometer cause false readings?

I would say that depends on the definition of bad. Some oils can dry out over time which could lead to accelerated wear & sticking. And of couse some oils gum up/leave residue over time. This could very well cause false reading. But if the oil was a bit too thick, maybe not so much as giving a false reading say like in a dial indicator, but cause the movement to be slower if anything.

I would say that depends on the definition of bad. Some oils can dry out over time which could lead to accelerated wear & sticking. And of couse some oils gum up/leave residue over time. This could very well cause false reading. But if the oil was a bit too thick, maybe not so much as giving a false reading say like in a dial indicator, but cause the movement to be slower if anything.

Thank you for the info :))

No problem but if anything does happen to one of yours, ya can't blame me! ;) :whistle::lmao:

ahahahaha. I think the biggest issue would be in more friction so to speak. If it's thicker it will take some amount on more force to overcome. I suppose that could affect ones "feel".

You want the best? Hammond organ tone generator precision oil . Yes I have a B3 Hammond bought new in 1964

sam

For 30 years now I have been using “lighter fluid/naphtha” to clean and lube my mics calipers and indicators with no apparent ill affects

I use cutting oil
OK I was cutting oil ever thing got oil with cutting oil
When I am cutting oil I use Starret for oil and cleaning Denatured alcohol

Dave

For 30 years now I have been using “lighter fluid/naphtha” to clean and lube my mics calipers and indicators with no apparent ill affects

I use silacone spray on indicator slides and caliper slides. Along with cleaning & lubing, it doesn't attract dirt. Plus I have plenty.

I use sewing machine oil and am also trialing baby oil. Trumpet valve oil is quite good too but expensive. The baby oil was about 50 cents per litre.

Last edited:
Back