Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
Instrument oil what do you use
I use Starrett for over 40's years

The old day the use whale oil / watch oil for mic's

Dave

Whale-oil.gif

I use Microil by Kano (makers of Kroil) on my measuring instruments. I had a sample of Nano Oil that I used to use. I still have some left but when it runs out that's it, I won't be buying more, that stuff is expensive! Snake Oil?

Anyone ever use Velocite #6 for a mutipurpose oil?

I like spindle oil. Light, refined, cheap, and most likely filtered.

I got a small bottle of Moebius Synt-a-Lube from a friend a few years ago. As said there is no residue to gum things up over time. Been using it ever since. When that is gone I will bum some Velocite #6 from the gear shop.

"Billy G"

Any quality instrument oil should be a light viscosity & not gum up or leave any residue over time. I got a free 8oz can of Microil instrument oil the last time I ordered AreoKroil so it's should last me a lifetime.

I recently got a gal of Velocite #6 spindle oil that I use for something else. I noticed the #6 is a lighter oil than the Microil. I was thinking to use the Velocite as an alternative to 3n1 oil (which I don't use) for small bearings & misc stuff.

Last edited:
Any quality instrument oil should be a light viscosity & not gum up or leave any residue over time. I got a free 8oz can of Microil instrument oil the last time I ordered AreoKroil so it's should last me a lifetime.

I recently got a gal of Velocite #6 spindle oil that I use for something else. I noticed the Microil is a lighter oil than the #6. I was thinking to use the Velocite as an alternative to 3n1 oil (which I don't use) for small bearings & misc stuff.

For an instrument oil, do you think Velocite #10 is too thick?

For an instrument oil, do you think Velocite #10 is too thick?

Actually, I have to correct myself. I have a bottle of Microil & a bottle of Velocite #6 sitting here on my desk. Just looked at them again & I was wrong, the Microil seems to be just slightly thicker than the #6. I'll go back & edit my post.

Microil is the only oil I've had that is specific for instruments. I've never had any Starrett instrument oil or anything else so I have nothing to compare with. #6 is ISO10 & #10 is ISO22. ISO 22 is equivelent to SAE 5-10W according to the conversion chart from Bobistheoilguy. I'm not qualified or have any personal experience so I can't say yes or no. But if I had #10 I would try it along with any other light oil that does not gum up over time. I think it would be fine.

But if I had #10 I would try it along with any other light oil that does not gum up over time. I think it would be fine.

I will try some #10 and Kerosene and see how it goes. Doing some research on a tractor forum, it seems like it will not gum up over time. I'll try it in a micrometer and see how it works, and if it doesn't go well I'll report back.

Can bad oil in a micrometer cause false readings?

Only when you reading to 0.0001"
The mic will gum up next it will be hard to work and last will stop working.
This will happen working water coolant and hard to clean
So use a good oil for instruments

Dave

I will try some #10 and Kerosene and see how it goes. Doing some research on a tractor forum, it seems like it will not gum up over time. I'll try it in a micrometer and see how it works, and if it doesn't go well I'll report back.

Can bad oil in a micrometer cause false readings?

Back