Installing Wj200 Vfd On Pm 1340gt

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
After 1340 has set ofr over a year waiting to be wired I am ready to start, I would like to keep it as simple as I can so I don't end up with lathe just collecting more dust. I would prefer to just wire up WJ200 VFD so I can use lathe as I came from QMT. at this time I do not wish to add bump switch or speed control. Just want to be able to power it up and use as it sits, can some one post how I would do this, I am dealing with a a lot of memory loss for multiple surgeries, what the use to put you under over time scrambles memory and take time to recover it. I have hade 9 major trips to operating room, about time I start getting memory going again I end up being sliced and diced again. right now I am struggling to get this lathe going any photo's and wiring diagrams would be most helpful.

I did manage to get my PM935VT wired and running but what should of took only a day or so took me weeks I would like to have lathe running before cold weather arrives. if I keep pushing my self and get info needed I should be able to accomplish this. I don't know anyone I could hire that would be able to wire up PM935TV the way everyone else is wiring their equipment.

Henry

Here is a link to the writeup I did when I put a WJ200 on my mill : http://hvontres.blogspot.com/2013/08/brigepor-mill-for-garage-part-3.html
Only the upper half of the schematic is relevant, the lower part is a 24V supply and an idea for a circuit to detect if the mill is in back gear, but that has not been implemented yet. If you want, I can redraw the schematic for you. One thing I need to add in is a 50 Ohm, 500W resistor. It really helps the drive stop the spindle nice and quick (~2s on my 2J, even from full speed)

When you have the wiring done, I highly reccomend hooking up a computer to the drive with a usb cable and using the Hiachi software to set up the parameters. This is much, much faster than using the front panel. Once you haver everyting working, you can save the current setup in the drive back to the computer and if something goes wrong, you can restore it fairly easily.

Because a lathe spindle switch does not use momentary spindle direction switches, you usually need to incorporate some form of power reset relay so the machine does not restart if the switch is engaged when you turn the machine on. You cannot connect the VFD like an RPC to the power input of the lathe and have it work properly, the VFD output is usually directly wired to the 3 phase motor and the VFD functions usually operated by the inputs. The VFD needs to be programmed to know what to do when inputs are activated. Programming the VFD can be a bit challenging, so it is something that I would suggest you have someone help you with that when you get to that point. On a lathe it is beneficial to add a braking resistor to slow down the lathe faster, you do not need anything fancy (usually get them from Asia as aluminum encased with 2 leads), anything in the 50-75 oms range, 300-1000W. These sell for $30-40 on eBay, a little more if from the US.

Attached is a older design that I had use to build, which uses just a single relay. You basically remove the current control board and mount a single relay on it and keep the current terminal strip and the wiring cable to the front spindle switch. You can try to use the current switches, but in all the systems I build I replace the stock switches. I have included a programing parameters for the VFD. The Hitachi VFD software is not so easy to install and use, but once you figure it out it is quicker then manually programming the VFD. Also if you try to program the VFD manually, many parameters are locked out so you need to do the following to unlock the parameters before you do anything else.
READ THIS: If you manually program the WJ200 via the keypad you must first:
1. Change B037 to "00" for full display of all functions. You must press both the up and down arrows to access single-digit edit mode since this feature is not accessible in the default basic display. You must change B037 before you can change B031.
AND THEN
2. Change B031 to "10". This unlocks all the high level program functions for editing. Then make the following program changes that are highlighted.

Mounted 4 Pole Relay.jpg

Attachments

• PM1340GT lathe VFD Schematic rev 3.pdf
    806.5 KB · Views: 390
  • PM1340GT WJ200 Parameter File, Program Menu and Wiring Schematics 05-JUL-2015.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 234
Isn't there a member near this guy who could help him out by visiting his shop for a few hrs if it takes that long. Or make a video to guide him ?

Because a lathe spindle switch does not use momentary spindle direction switches, you usually need to incorporate some form of power reset relay so the machine does not restart if the switch is engaged when you turn the machine on. You cannot connect the VFD like an RPC to the power input of the lathe and have it work properly, the VFD output is usually directly wired to the 3 phase motor and the VFD functions usually operated by the inputs. The VFD needs to be programmed to know what to do when inputs are activated. Programming the VFD can be a bit challenging, so it is something that I would suggest you have someone help you with that when you get to that point. On a lathe it is beneficial to add a braking resistor to slow down the lathe faster, you do not need anything fancy (usually get them from Asia as aluminum encased with 2 leads), anything in the 50-75 oms range, 300-1000W. These sell for $30-40 on eBay, a little more if from the US.

Attached is a older design that I had use to build, which uses just a single relay. You basically remove the current control board and mount a single relay on it and keep the current terminal strip and the wiring cable to the front spindle switch. You can try to use the current switches, but in all the systems I build I replace the stock switches. I have included a programing parameters for the VFD. The Hitachi VFD software is not so easy to install and use, but once you figure it out it is quicker then manually programming the VFD. Also if you try to program the VFD manually, many parameters are locked out so you need to do the following to unlock the parameters before you do anything else.
READ THIS: If you manually program the WJ200 via the keypad you must first:
1. Change B037 to "00" for full display of all functions. You must press both the up and down arrows to access single-digit edit mode since this feature is not accessible in the default basic display. You must change B037 before you can change B031.
AND THEN
2. Change B031 to "10". This unlocks all the high level program functions for editing. Then make the following program changes that are highlighted.

View attachment 132178

outstanding job
fixit

if I read this correctly other than adding a brake, to use lathe I just run 240 to wj200 in put side and then run from wj200 3 ph to lathe motor, do I un hook the relays on lathe still or is that only if you want to add jog and speed controls,

Yes, 240 single phase comes in and connect to L1 and N, power to the motor connects directly to U, V, W inputs as shown below. No motor or high voltage goes to the contactors. A braking resistor would connect to RB and either +1 or + terminal. The braking resistor would be anything in the 300-1000W and usually 50 ohms or slightly higher.

The issue is getting the Spindle controls to control the VFD. These are LOW voltage connections and must be kept completely separate from the HV. The VFD must be programmed so it will know what to do when an input is activated. Unlike a mill, you usually need a power relay so the lathe cannot restart if the spindle switch is set on, you also need an E-Stop. Failure to have some form of power relay is very dangerous. There may be some way to use the contactors as relays to control the VFD, but they would need to be stripped of their high voltage wiring. The speed pot is completely independent of all this and has its own connections, and is minor to add. Is it possible that you could get someone in your area to assist you, as incorrect wiring would be very serious.
wj200 power.jpg

On my erl-1340 they had installed a fourth contactor to serve as the power relay. I would up pulling that and the forward and reverse contactors out entirely. I've got an Omron 4PDT relay serving as the power reset.

Most of the existing switches for the spindle control are intact. I had to move the power source for the spindle switches from 24VAC supplied by the power reset contactor to 24VDC supplied by the new relay.

Likewise, the e-stop and safety interlocks are now fed from 24VDC and go to the new relay coil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

question: if I had 3 phase coming into shop, would I be able to wire it up to panel on lathe and run with out problems? I don't have 3 phase its just a question, also if I could get a rotary phase converter of some type could I just run to panel and safely use lathe. I can do some electrical work but I am completely lost when it comes to any type of programmable controls.
I know of no one in my area that could help me wire lathe, I can try and sell wj200 and but a 2hp rotary phase converter if that would be easier for me to use, as in wire it to existing panel on lathe on start making chips. it will cost me a few dollars more but machine will be running and I could start doing some paying jobs, that's better than it just sitting slowly rusting away.

Henry

Sure, if you have three-phase coming in you just need to run it to the lathe. No wiring mods required.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back