Installing Igaging Absolute DRO's on 1953 SB 9A

here is an overall view of my 1953 Model A. it's a 16 speed model, it was painted blue many years ago and I don't like the color. the paint has a lot of wear but it never peeled so I'm going to leave it as is. I've gone through everything to clean and lubricate and replaced all of the oiling felts. I also replaced the tired original motor with a 3/4 hp unit.

unnamed (1).jpg

it would be nice to have a good set of hole saws that cut metal so the boring head would only have to do a small part. my biggest drill is less than 3/4" and it's all swarf from there. this is all from this one piece. takes a while at .120 per cut.

ooo.jpg

Hi Yota,
That's a good looking DRO setup and your SB9A looks in great condition. I have a Boxford 9A which is s clone of your SB 9A. Would you mind asking a question or two about the SB9A? Tony Griffith on 'Lathes' says the clones are mechanically identical. I want to know if this is true regarding the gear train. On the imperial Boxford when you are using the gearbox the 'standard' gear train has a 20 tooth stud gear and 56 tooth leadscrew gear (LSG). The metric version uses 50T stud and 45T LSG. Do the South Bend lathes use the same setup? Thanks!
hello Evan. if the 2 gears marked in the photo are the ones you are asking about then yes they are 20 and 56 tooth gears.

PXL_20211129_172200546_LI.jpg

Back