Inspired Build of the Karl Benz 1886 Engine

Looks awesome Ray!

Thanks Guys I think it will be OK.

Ray

I had a day off yesterday as a good friend of mine (Chris) and I went to ACME Surplus in Sanford Fl. They have metal of all kinds and as I needed some brass and some aluminum we made a morning of it. You never know just what they will have but I found some 1/4" brass rod that I needed and some 1/4" X 2" brass plate that was over 6 feet long for $4.95 a pound. That should hold me for a while.
Today I made the housings for the inlet and outlet cooling water connections. I was afraid that the wall thickness of the outer cylinder was too thin for making threads so I made the housings.
IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

The bevel gears did come in so maybe tomorrow I can work on them.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I had a day off yesterday as a good friend of mine (Chris) and I went to ACME Surplus in Sanford Fl. They have metal of all kinds and as I needed some brass and some aluminum we made a morning of it. You never know just what they will have but I found some 1/4" brass rod that I needed and some 1/4" X 2" brass plate that was over 6 feet long for $4.95 a pound. That should hold me for a while.

Wow, that is 45 minutes from where I live... I need to make it a point to drive over and get some supplies.

Will do so when I get back from SFO...

We have been buying materials there for several years and they do have a good selection at a reasonable price. I still end up buying some things on line tho that they may not have in stock at that moment.

Ray

I had made the cam bearing towers longer than what I thought they needed to be to be safe and was hoping to cut 3/4" off the length when the cam gears came in. I was able to cut a 1/2" off the towers, a 1/4" off the crankshaft end, and 3/4" off the cam shaft end. The other end of the cam shaft is still long for now.

IMG_2034.JPG

They sure do turn smooth.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Been working on the exhaust valve linkage and cam.
This shows how I cut out the cam profile.
IMG_2037.JPG

The exhaust linkage and cam are installed and timed.
IMG_2040.JPG

I am probably just about done with working on the under side of the engine so I will start on the mounting plate next. It will be much easier working on the engine when I don't have to chase it all over the bench.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Are you cutting in the mill manually or CNC??

The base is made of poplar and I installed rubber feet.
Walnut stain and clear spray.
IMG_2043.JPG

The crankshaft support has a ball bearing with a center point up into the crank.
IMG_2045.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back