Inspired Build of the Karl Benz 1886 Engine

Well I am back from a short vacation and ready to go to work.
I cut out the cam towers and turned the cam shaft.
IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG
I also straightened the exhaust pipe.

Since I don't have the bevel gears yet (slow boat) I am not sure exactly of their dimensions so I will make the towers taller than needed.
I hope to remove 1" off the towers height and 0.750 off the crank shaft end when they do show up. I made the towers now to give me a reference point for the exhaust valve linkage.
The cam shaft is over length also.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thank you Boswell but there is a lot of just sitting and looking at it until I get an idea of how to continue.

Ray

there is a lot of just sitting and looking at it until I get an idea of how to continue.

Ray
I know exactly where your coming from there.
Awesome work.

Beautiful work Ray!

Thanks savarin and David for the kind words

I made up the rocker arm and outboard lever for the exhaust valve.
I didn't have any brass rod for the exhaust pull rod so I made it out of steel instead.
The clevises for the rod ends are brass though.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

I really need to have the bevel gears in my hand before I can go any further on the exhaust.
Looks like a late Wednesday arrival time.

Thanks for looking
Ray

While I am waiting for the bevel gears to arrive I thought it was time for some color.
Now painting in Florida can at times be challenging with the high humidity and high temperature things don't always turn out as planed. I painted the first few pieces and was rewarded with a pale pink color. Not that I don't like pink but I was looking for a bright red instead.
I got out the toaster oven and set it at 150 degrees. I found that if I could get the freshly painted item into the oven in under 2 minutes and leave it in for 10 minutes it turned out alright.
Some parts were not as nice as I had hoped but most were fine.
IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

What do you think?

Thanks for looking
Ray

That red is really going to stand out. In a good way.

Back