Inserts ?

Yeah, I highly doubt you will find a holder that small for a 22ER insert. You may find a 3/4" square shank to hold a 22ER insert. Do what I have done, cut the holder down to fit your needs. I've taken several carbide insert holders and cut them down to 5/8" square or there abouts to fit my Aloris holders. Some of the shanks are tough to cut on with carbide cutters. But is doable. Ken

Thanks Ken , I've cut down other holders I may get a couple 5/8 axa tool holders ordered one of these Hope it works. : 25×25mm SER2525M22 Threading Turning Tool Holder 22ER I.C. 1/2" Insert Holder
eBay, guess it's comming from China :eek:

The insert holder shank was 1x1" milled it down to 1/2" to fit my holders, I'll spare y'all that ugly part
Cut 1/2x13 threads in back gear , may of been a little slow for these inserts, first threads I've cut on a lathe , compound set at 29-1/2* :distrust:
image.jpeg
Not the prettiest but the nut screws on good

The trick to threading is to run at about 150 RPM or faster. Engage half nuts, thread, then pull out of cut at end and dis-engage half nuts all at the same time! When you get that good, I'll hire you. :grin:

Edit: Down here in oilfield country, a manual machinist has to be able to chase or cut new rotary shouldered connections running about 150 to 250 RPM spinning a piece of tube about 30 foot long and about 4-1/2" diameter on the tube and the connection is about 6-1/2" OD. The thread pitch is 4 thread per inch on a steep taper. The really good "show off" machinist can cut a thread in about 4 to 5 passes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken's right, and the chips are blue off that operation. It's a little un-nerving at first, but you get used to it. That's why we have machines with 12"+ hollow spindles, dual chucks, and roller supports for the outboard end 30 feet from the headstock in the oilfield. Well, several of them in a row. I never like it when the collars (super thick walled pipe) come in bent though, and they need to go right back out. And I never walk out the headstock end while some other idjit is threading. Seem some ugly stuff happen and don't want it to happen to me.

Oh, 1/2-13? 500 rpm they get pretty.

Back