Inflation or price gouging

I watched a guy in VT showing a rail yard miles long with lumber piled up, while they were claiming a shotage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OK, which is it; inflation or price gouging? I was going over my medical billing for December. $3,500 billed.... for three office visits, an eye exam, a blood draw, and a biopsy of a mole. Fortunately, I am on Medicare and have a good supplemental insurance so nothing out of pocket for me but how about that poor schmuck that can't afford insurance?

A part of the supply chain shortages leading to supply/demand inflation comes from all the truckers that have been kicked off the roads since the clearinghouse went into effect in 2020. In about a years time after that law started, over 70,000 truckers were fired for drug or alcohol violations. Of course we don’t want any impaired drivers on the road, but the drug tests that get you fired for having some residual in your system from days or weeks ago is silly.
On the topic of lumber, a buddy that works at a mill said during the height of the lumber craze, they were still selling 2x4s to the big box stores at about a buck a piece. After he told me that I checked menards website, it said they had a few thousand in stock and they were selling them for about $7 each. It’s mostly corporate greed/gouging in my opinion.

but how about that poor schmuck that can't afford insurance?
I know one family, and this is a fact, who did not sign up for employer sponsored healthcare because they have some sort of coverage through the state, due to low/no income. Another person I know got $55k charged off when it was discovered he didn't have insurance. A third without insurance (the youngest) made arrangements for payments after he received his $55k+ bill, and moved out of the country. This kid had a sprained ankle and was transported by helicopter to a different hospital under the insistence of the staff. He should have sued. Since I've written 55k twice, I expect I must have got a figure wrong somewhere. But they were both multi ten thousand dollar numbers. I really do wonder about insurance. Take the kids for a physical. You don't have insurance, is a flat fifty bucks. If you have insurance, it's a couple hundred. Something is screwy about that.
it said they had a few thousand in stock and they were selling them for about $7 each. It’s mostly corporate greed/gouging
But if people are willing to buy it, is it still gouging? If it were gas, I could see calling it gouging. We all have to have gas. But lumber? That's discretionary I think. If the builder prices it in, and the client agrees, it's just business. The client has the ability to say no. They can buy an already built house. They can rent. If I ask $10,090 dollars for a box of nails, and somebody buys it, that doesn't make ME the bad guy. The buyer bought. I didn't force him. He didn't have to have it. Food would be a thing where gouging could occur. But how about meat? It's more expensive now, right? How many people are eating three times more of it than their body requires? Pretty much every American, is the answer. Buying three times less meat would solve that gouge in a hurry. But who is doing that? Nobody. They're still buying a hundred pounds of meat a month and complaining it costs too much. Buy less. It'll also help with the love handles. More money. Better health. Less chances of gout. Lol. All I'm saying is, I don't hear anybody complaining about the cost of broccoli...

I know one family, and this is a fact, who did not sign up for employer sponsored healthcare because they have some sort of coverage through the state, due to low/no income. Another person I know got $55k charged off when it was discovered he didn't have insurance. A third without insurance (the youngest) made arrangements for payments after he received his $55k+ bill, and moved out of the country. This kid had a sprained ankle and was transported by helicopter to a different hospital under the insistence of the staff. He should have sued. Since I've written 55k twice, I expect I must have got a figure wrong somewhere. But they were both multi ten thousand dollar numbers. I really do wonder about insurance. Take the kids for a physical. You don't have insurance, is a flat fifty bucks. If you have insurance, it's a couple hundred. Something is screwy about that.

But if people are willing to buy it, is it still gouging? If it were gas, I could see calling it gouging. We all have to have gas. But lumber? That's discretionary I think. If the builder prices it in, and the client agrees, it's just business. The client has the ability to say no. They can buy an already built house. They can rent. If I ask $10,090 dollars for a box of nails, and somebody buys it, that doesn't make ME the bad guy. The buyer bought. I didn't force him. He didn't have to have it. Food would be a thing where gouging could occur. But how about meat? It's more expensive now, right? How many people are eating three times more of it than their body requires? Pretty much every American, is the answer. Buying three times less meat would solve that gouge in a hurry. But who is doing that? Nobody. They're still buying a hundred pounds of meat a month and complaining it costs too much. Buy less. It'll also help with the love handles. More money. Better health. Less chances of gout. Lol. All I'm saying is, I don't hear anybody complaining about the cost of broccoli...
It is not just lumber they are gouging on, it is everything in the store. Already own a home and need plumbing or electrical parts to keep systems working? Too bad, you're paying the higher price they decided they can charge. Need shingles to repair your roof after the Storm? Pony up for the higher prices ..

The same thing is going on at the grocery stores, they are determining what the absolute highest price people are able to pay so they can feed their families.

Corporations saw covid as an opportunity to declare "shortages" of everything and raise prices to compensate for the shortage they invented.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

@jwmay That does not sound legit. It definetly pays to have insurance. I would hate to have any bill without. Yes there are many institutions playing games by sending you to a dr or group that is not in your plan. Its something the insurance companies like (they're) off the hook, and the hospitals like (they get more money) But if you don't have insurance... you are screwed.

@Navy Chief Some shortages are real. I could not get a Square D 30amp double pole ckt breaker in 2020... I waited 6 months (if I remember correctly)... the company was either closed, or on a limited staffing. There are real shortages.. There are many fake (manufactured) shortages. But NOT ALL are greed. Some are real... But it's getting hard to tell who is telling the truth. I can order something on ebay from china and it comes in 2-3 weeks. So it's hard to validate the shortages from china, or from the USA.

Back