Inexpensive Non Contact Tachometers....??

On a related note, being that the pulley is reflective, what have you guys used to "black" it out? Offhand, I see several options. I could make a black cover from some scrap Kydex I have, good ole duct tape or gaffers tape (black), or paint which is the least desirable for me. Are there any other options that aren't ghetto?

When I installed the tach on my lathe the shaft was steel and I used one of those fat black felt markers to darken it and than installed the tape on 4 spots has worked for years with no problems.

Here's an idea for a low budget tachometer.

Bill
Interesting article. Wouldn't you divide by 1.2 rather than multiply by 1.2 for 50 Hz vs 60 Hz. Things that stop with 50 Hz flashes are slower than those that stop with 60 Hz flashes.

So how well does it work? Worth buying?

I have that one and it works fine but needs a reflective target to contrast with the rest of what you’re measuring. So I wrapped the spindle nose with electrical tape and stuck the included reflective tape on that. It make the indicol less secure than I’d like.

I think it’s worth buying. I used a thick chisel point Sharpie to darken the pulley. It works fine but I can’t say anything about its accuracy however it is consistent with its readings.

Last edited:
Use the free iPhone app to check accuracy. Because it’s visual, in that you adjust the proposed frequency manually until you get a stop motion freeze frame, and because there is a very accurate clock in the phone, it should be spot on.

Reactions: jcp
I have one of this type and they are very accurate.I have repaired and calibrated many tachometers and for many years have used and recommended using the very old floppy disk labels used for write protection as they are plastic/metal black/silver and work and wear very well if you can find them and they look professional,otherwise black sharpy and aluminium self adheasive tape .
Gary

Back