Inexpensive Non Contact Tachometers....??

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
I realize you get what you pay for, but does anyone have any experience with low cost non contact tachometers? As a newbie, it would be a great advantage to be able to get rpm's in the ballpark. Thanks.....

I realize you get what you pay for, but does anyone have any experience with low cost non contact tachometers? As a newbie, it would be a great advantage to be able to get rpm's in the ballpark. Thanks.....

Here's an idea for a low budget tachometer.

Bill

Attachments

• rpm_gauge.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 65
They are all over the net for $15 and up, I bought mine from Meter Depot. I also have one from harbor freight both work perfectly

What is the application/machine and are you looking for a hand held or one mounted to the machine? The inexpensive tachs work well and are accurate in my experience, if you are integrating them into a machine you need a power source (typically 12VDC) and need to figure where the speed sensor is going to be placed. I typically use an induction type of sensor, optical in a dirty environment can be a problem and they are a bit more challenging to mount. They all work fine.

Got one from Harbor Freight. Works good. Don't remember price.

The non-contact ones need a reflective reference on the moving part to sense rpm. I use a contact version. It also gives a surface speed reading. I don't know if the non-contact ones will do that.

Eric

I have one of the harbor freight jobbies, which works well. My only gripe is that it’s a surprisingly large device in person.

Back