Inexpensive calipers

Call me old school or just plane old fashioned. I don't trust them. I will use a dial vernier to get close than switch to micrometer to finish the job. Nothing against the new technology it's just the way I was taught.
Besides when you say calipers to me I think of a inside or outside set of two leg compass to be used with a micrometer. ************Just Saying*****************Gator******************

Call me old school or just plane old fashioned. I don't trust them. I will use a dial vernier to get close than switch to micrometer to finish the job.

I've got dial calipers and vernier calipers but none that are both (though I can see how it could be done).

Nothing against the new technology it's just the way I was taught.

Dial calipers were once new technology as well. So were vernier calipers and micrometers, for that matter.

Besides when you say calipers to me I think of a inside or outside set of two leg compass to be used with a micrometer. ************Just Saying*****************Gator******************

I've got several sets such calipers as well as several sets of dividers ("compasses") and I've used them for measuring on occasion. IMHO two operations cannot be as accurate as one.

Personally though, once you get into making accurate measurements, you'll want to be using micrometers not calipers, so perhaps a better choice would be a cheap caliper and a 0-1 and 1-2in micrometer for the same/ similar money to a 2nd hand Mitotuyo.

Spot on accurate (pun intended)

I have built hundreds of performance racing heads with Harbor Freight dial calipers and Starrett/Mitutoyo micrometers. When you need to be accurate to 001 you pull out the mics, otherwise leave them safe in the box and let the cheap calipers take the day to day beating. I have probably gone through 30 cheap HF calipers over my lifetime. Drop them once and its 50/50 if they go to the scrap bin, do that once with a nice mic and its cry time.

I have old Grizzly digital calipers, blue and grey (I believe the blue/grey ones are no longer made) Great caliper, reads to two tenths but I don't trust it to tenths. Seems accurate with a 6.147" range. I take the battery out when not in use and the single cell has lasted literally 4-5 years. I use it sometimes, maybe 0-10 times a week. Has Zero, ABS (a separate, independent zero), and metric/imperial functions, and SPC output. Been very reliable. Also came with a nice foam cutout fitted plastic case. With cutout for battery.

Never mind, it it still made and sold!
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7975-6-Inch-Digita-Caliper/dp/B000M631LC

Last edited by a moderator:
I have old Grizzly dial calipers, blue and grey (I believe the blue/grey ones are no longer made) Great caliper, reads to two tenths but I don't trust it to tenths. Seems accurate with a 6.147" range. I take the battery out when not in use and the single cell has lasted literally 4-5 years. I use it sometimes, maybe 0-10 times a week. Has Zero, ABS (a separate, independent zero), and metric/imperial functions, and SPC output. Been very reliable. Also came with a nice foam cutout fitted plastic case. With cutout for battery.

Never mind, it it still made and sold!
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7975-6-Inch-Digita-Caliper/dp/B000M631LC

Not trying to be funny or anything but those are not "Dial Calipers" They are "Digital Calipers.

"Billy G"

Not trying to be funny or anything but those are not "Dial Calipers" They are "Digital Calipers.

"Billy G"

Oops! I was thinking of my pair of Helios dial calipers at the time, and how I sometimes prefer to use dials but didn't include it in the post. Thanks for that, I will edit the post.

Just for giggles

I got out my 1" standard and checked my digis against it. Was also going to do my Ol' Starrett Dial but I can't FIND IT!!!!
The mitutoyo's are at least 20 years old... two of the centech's reset to zero regardless of position, one doesn't, neither does the PT

(left to right)
.9985, 1.0015
.9995, 1.0005
.9990, 1.0015

P1050990r.jpg

P1050990r.jpg

I have a pair of 8" Mitutoyo digital calipers I've been using since 2002. I put a battery in them about once a year. If price wasn't a concern, I'd go with the Mitutoyo. Even after 12 years of use they still pass cert every year.

you may wish to consider a dial caliper, batteries are never an issue.
most have .001" division dials on them.

the LCD/digital calipers are nice though to go back and forth from metric to imperial measurements with a touch of a button.

i always forget to turn the unit off and kill my batteries often :banghead:

Most shut off automatically now. Which is a pain on the two Cen-Techs that 'Zero Out'.
My ol' Mitu's don't.

Back