Inexpensive calipers

Don't know about the expensive digital ones, but I can attest that the HF digital calipers eat batteries. I gave mine away after the second or third set of batteries.

I still use dial calipers, not as good as digital, but they are a heck of a lot better than vernier calipers I used years ago?

Chris

I have Mitutoyo Absolutes - gray, $155 on Enco, one of those items that happens to be permanently on sale. I have faith in them to within .001 (within proper circumstances). Measuring various gage blocks, they have never measured different more than .0005. Checking holes with a telescoping gauge and mic or caliper, then measuring with the ID jaws on my Mits gives the same result.

I'm actually amazed by the accuracy of these calipers. If I had to get a new pair, I'd buy the exact same ones. I would not buy cheaper - I started with $30 Kobalt digital calipers from Lowe's. At the time, the thought of a tool even reading to thousandths of an inch was amazing. In retrospect, cheap calipers really aren't worth it unless you only need .005 or "good enough". Buy quality the first time and take care of it.

Granted - I would still use a micrometer if my part NEEDED to be, say, within .003 or less and I didn't have perfect conditions - or in industry. But if it's a part I just WANT to be within .001 or less but can really be within .005, I'll use my Mits.

They also have pretty good battery life, even without an off button. I've had them for almost four months and the battery (which I bought new with the calipers, the instructions say not to use the one that comes with the calipers I believe) is just fine.

I taught an intro machining adult ed class in the spring and got the same question. Here was my response and opinion on the matter:

"There are many brands to choose from for measuring instruments. Generally on the high end of quality tools are: Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo and Etalon. In the middle of the decent imports are: SPI and less so, Fowler. At the low end are: General, Aerospace and other no-name imports.

If you want to get a dial caliper, and a high-quality one, I suggest Brown and Sharpe (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=610-5024&PMPXNO=951993&PARTPG=INLMK32 in a black or silver dial). If you want a decent one, get a SPI (https://www.mscdirect.com/product/50967157?Arg=nv in almost any color you want). I wouldn't buy a Starrett dial caliper - they are flimsy in my experience. Mitutoyo dial calipers are also decent.

If you want a digital caliper, buy a Mitutoyo (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=2687672&PMAKA=610-0046). No one else really compares to them on digital. If you aren't going to buy the Mitutoyo digital, the SPI digitals are decent.

For vendors, you have the big three: Enco (use-enco.com), MSC Direct (mscdirect.com) and McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).

Enco has a terrible website and sometimes limited choices, but great prices and coupons. If you can find the item on Enco, chances are it will be the best price around. They also often have coupon codes for additional discounts.

MSC has a slightly better website and more selection, but higher prices. They have a huge selection of cutting tools.

McMaster has one of the most beautifully designed websites, ever. It is clean and easy to navigate. Their selection of measuring instruments is not great, but for hardware (screws, nuts, springs, etc.) they are the best. Not the greatest prices."

I taught an intro machining adult ed class in the spring and got the same question. Here was my response and opinion on the matter:

There are many brands to choose from for measuring instruments. Generally on the high end of quality tools are: Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo and Etalon. In the middle of the decent imports are: SPI and less so, Fowler. At the low end are: General, Aerospace and other no-name imports.
Thanks for your input !

I am little surprised you did not mention iGaging,

For vendors, you have the big three: Enco (use-enco.com), MSC Direct (mscdirect.com) and McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).

Don't overlook Zoro Tools (a subsidiary of Grainger), Amazon and now Amazon Supply.

Yeah, I'll thumbs up that one! Agreed. A balance of so-so to real accuracy if/when you need it.

count me in, either or dial or digi's are used to get me close, then its the mic.................................far as batterys= two seconds to pop em out..

For home hobby use HF calipers are fine 9.00 on sale the new ones are a little aggravating, they auto shutoff and you must re zero them every time.
This is what I use at home.
For work I buy Mitutoyo calipers exclusively much more durable and smother feel.
As for being accurate, don’t expect any calipers to be very accurate (less than .002) unless you use them every day and have a good feel for them.
This is just my .02 cents worth.

I won't use Digitals. All my calipers in use are dial.

"Billy G"

Hi friends,

I agree with another opinion about digital calipers. I only trust dial calipers. In my opinion, calipers are good for general measurements. For precise measurements, I only trust micrometers.

As far as acquiring measuring tools, there are a lot of estate auctions / sales, (that widows give away their past husbands tools), and Craigslist, (that has a lot of guys with good tools who are strapped for cash). These are where I get all of my Starrett and other name brand tools.

Another great source is to find a retired machinist / tool & die maker who will not only make a deal with you on selling his tools, but will share his experience.

Happy trails.

PS. Stay away from the cheap stuff.

I have an old Craftsman stainless steel calipers, with no electronic readout, so I would like to buy one that does have an LCD display.

There are literally thousands of these available on eBay from a couple of dollars to over $100. Most have no brand name. How do you choose one ?

If you're just puddering around go with the HF's. I've got (4) I use around the shop on a daily basis for quick dirty measurement.
I've got a 1" and 4" standard I check them against for grins & giggles and all but one are within a couple of thou. The orphan is a beat up one that I got in a lot at auction.
I've haven't had a problem with batteries, lucky I guess. Also I pick them up in (5) packs at a discount store for $3.

If you're going for accurate and better quality, pick Mitutoyo. I have two 6-inchers tucked away and the I have a 24" and 12" on my mill for basic DRO.
I wish that the iGaging type had been available when I did it up years ago.

Starett's, as mentioned above, seems to me to always have been fragile. Both dial and digital.

Back