indicators?

Coomba

Active User
Registered
I would like to buy a couple of test indicators, but I'm not sure which ones to get. I have a some old ones around, but would like to up grade I'm thinking one each .001 and one .0005, hope I typed that correctly. I have been researching different brands. All seem to be made in China or Japan, even the Starrett's. Some sites even go so far as to say that, they are all made in the same factory, and there are so many to choose from. Also what is meant by auto reversing? What should I look for in a moderately priced indicator? Thanks guys

i have 2 brown and sharp best test i swear by them , i had a starrett last word and gave it away. Never used an interapid but i hear they are good also.

I have dozens of test indicators. My favorite is a Compac 224GA, it has a vertical 1.5" dial and reads in 0.0005" increments, and has 0.06" of travel. The dial spacing is very large so it's easy to interpolate to a much smaller dimension.

Other good brands are Interapid, Best-Test, Mitutoyo, and Federal. Interapid and Compac are made in the same factory. Some of the older Best-Test's are just relabeled Interapid's. Lufkin test indicators (no longer made) are relabeled Compac's. Personally, I would avoid anything from China. Some people have had bad experiences with Starrett Last Word's and also with Gem test indicators. I have both, but I don't care for their mounting, so they are rarely used. I find the dovetail mount to be the most versatile, along with the flexible stem on the Interapids.

Most of my indicators were bought as used on eBay, and I've never gotten one that was bad.

Auto reverse means that you don't have to flip a lever on the side to get the needle to read when moving in the opposite direction.

Another thing to remember is that a test indicator is primarily a comparator, you don't try to get accurate measurements with these (usually) .

I use Interapid's and they are excellent indicators, but definitely not moderately priced, being in the $300-$350 range. I would suggest that you get one dial test indicator that reads to .0005", with a range of .020"-.030". Mitutoyo makes very good indicators that fit that requirement at half the price of an Interapid. They are also made in Japan (a good thing). Enco sells a kit, Mitutoyo #513-512T for about $150 that would serve you very well. It reads 0-10-0 and has a .020" range. You should also have a magnetic base and a dial indicator with at least an inch of travel.

BTW, most indicators are auto reversing, meaning they will read in either direction without having to flip a switch to reverse them.

Tom

If you meant, and I think you did since you referred to TEST indicators, .0001 and .0005 (one tenth and five tenths) then I'll say that I find both useful but for different purposes.Using a .0001 DTI (dial test indicator) for locating the center of a hole for instance is an exercise in frustration. The needle just moves around too much for me. The .0005 is the tool for that job. A vertical DTI is easier to use than a standard horizontal DTI for that task too.The .0001 DTI is the tool to use when you're measuring how flat a surface is, especially when surface grinding.I've never used a DTI that wasn't auto reversing so I'm not sure what the non-auto reversing DTI's are like to use. Auto reversing means the DTI will measure a surface when you touch the bottom of the ball to a surface below it and will also measure it when you touch the top of the ball to a surface above it. A DTI isn't a tool used to measure the size of a part by itself. It will measure small surface variations but to use it to measure the height of a 2" block it needs to be attached to a height gage. You zero it out on the surface plate the 2" block is sitting on, note the reading on the height gage or zero it out if it's a digital HG. You then crank it up a bit over 2" and bring the DTI down onto the block until it zeroes out again. You then read the height of your block on the HG.Many of the imported DTI's will work fine and they calibrate out accurately but I'm not so sure they'll have the longevity of life that a Starrett, Etalon, or B&S will.If I had to choose I'd choose a used Etalon or B&S over a new import.

My thought was to buy one 1/1000 and one 5/10000.But like I said I'm trying to find someway to compare, whats good about this brand whats not so good.What fits my purpose. Which ones to stay away from all together. Also what do they mean by repeading? Talk about sticker shock !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the general model I use for rough work and there's another one with 0.0001 increments with a range of +/- 5 thou. I have two of one and three of the other and have been using a couple of them for 3 years now. Still going strong. I've tested them with gauge blocks on a granite plate and they're right on the money.

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1963/030quot_Dial_Test_Indicator_0005quot

Yes, they're Chinese and cost about 30 bucks each and they work fine for my purposes. I think there was once a time when the different brands really had advantages. They all seem to come from the same factory and all those different brands only serves to cause a lot of confusion and arguments...

Anyhow, I used to have 3 each but one met early demise when I forgot to unclamp it from the carriage and sent into a spinning lathe chuck. I'm glad it wasn't a $300 cherished brand as I didn't shed a tear when I tossed it in trash can.

Ray

If this is going to be your very first DTI, then I suggest you get a new one, not a used one, unless it is from someone you really trust. 0.0005 is adequate for most work. I'd say get yourself a cheapie, maybe even a Harbor Freight, if they have one. Then you will find out how to use one, and if you really need it. I'd say all machinists need one, but that's an opinion. After using one a bit, decide on a budget. InterRapid is top shelf, and top price to go with it. It really is a shame to drop one on the concrete. A cheap one won't hurt so bad if you do that. After the cheap one, get a good one, but one that you can justify. I have several, but my go-to is a B&S BestTest, black face. I won't knock any of them, but there are favorites and hates for everyone.

I've had many test indacators over the years my favorate's are Tesa's, and Brown and sharpe best tests, they were also made by Tesa. Both brands have proved ruged and reliable for many years. personaly I like a white face with black numbers I find them easy to read. I would sugest a long tip .0005 ind and a large face .0001 ind as another poster noted the large face is easy to read and split div on. Compac and Interapid are also exilent indicators. Auto reversing meens you dont have to flip a lever to mesure for the other side of the Ind tip.
Cheers Don

I really like the Compac 214GA - it is a 0.0005" autoreversing DTI with a 0-60-0 range and a large white face with large spacing and numbers for my older eyes to see without magnification. Like the Interrapids, B&S, and Mits, Compacs are repairable, accurate, long-lived and extremely reliable. I suggest watching ebay. I bought both of my 214's there, one of which was nearly new for $50.00.

You can spend money on a 0.001" DTI and they will suffice for general work but so will a 0.0005" model.

If I had to pick one DTI to stay away from it would be the Starrett Last Word indicator. I have one and like it but it does develop a sticky needle due to magnetic accumulation that does not inspire confidence. It is also non-autoreversing. It is cheap though!

By the way, we are all assuming you mean dial test indicators instead of dial indicators. I can't speak for others but my advice would be the same for dial indicators - buy a quality brand like those above and buy it once.

Back