Indicator questions for first time buyer.

Id recommend you buy them in this order.
1) 1" travel 0.001" graduated dial
2) 0.03" travel 0.0005" graduated test
3) 0.125" travel 0.0005" graduated dial
4) 0.03" travel 0.0001" graduated test

1 & 2 will get you through almost any project, 3 & 4 come into play when you really need to nitpick something.

Absolutely all of those. I use #1 and #3 the most.

"Billy G"

The good stuff is Swiss. Get on Ebay and find swiss made indicators. Can be found for about the price of new Chinese.

Great info everyone. I'll use the info Dan_s posted on specs while looking. Between the brand recommendations here and on the Long Island site I'll know what to look for. Thanks everyone. I'm off to ebay.......

Id recommend you buy them in this order.
1) 1" travel 0.001" graduated dial
2) 0.03" travel 0.0005" graduated test
3) 0.125" travel 0.0005" graduated dial
4) 0.03" travel 0.0001" graduated test

1 & 2 will get you through almost any project, 3 & 4 come into play when you really need to nitpick something.

Using Dans suggestions you will be able to do most anything. What I would suggest is a good magnetic base and test indicator holder. My preference is a noga style holder which is simpler to set up. Get the appropriate dove tail holders for the test indicators.

Caster

The indicator I use the most is an Interapid .0005" and I use it for machine alignments, checking turret alignments, tramming a test bar etc. When I have to record machine specs on new installs such as squareness, parallelism, flatness etc I use a Mahr Millimess or Supramess indicator due to the tolerances. When I have to set x-axis zero on a tool/turret or check a tailstock position I will use a Blake co-axial indicator.

It really depends on what I need to do. You can't go wrong with a B&S, Interapid, or Mitutoyo .0005" test indicator for most set-ups.

Daryl

One thing to consider if price is an issue is metric indicators.
They can sometimes be less costly
99% of the time you’re not concerned with the actual numbers, just the swing of the pointer.
Myself, what I use,
Travel indicators, what ever Enco has on sale
Test indicators, Interapid
One big advantage with Interapid, .060 travel compared to the others .015, or .030 travel.

Not a professional, never worked in a production, jobbing, or other machining job here. From my perspective, I agree with ki4byz. I've got two of the 1" travel Chinese indicators that I've used more than anything else. They've worked fine for the last 10 years. If they're not as good as the big names, I wouldn't know it. I do have an older Federal 1" travel as well. I bought it in lightly used condition for about the same price as the new Chinese. It does seem to be a slightly better (bigger face) quality, though it has a tendency to stick more than the Chinese indicators.

I also bought a used Starrett No. 196A back plunger style in the case w/ all the accessories that ended up being kind of a waste of money. It cost more than any of the others, it has very limited travel (don't remember how much, maybe 0.100"?), and it sticks so bad that it hasn't been out of the box for the last 8 years at least.

I also have the 0-15-0 test indicator of Chinese make. It's 10 years old, and has never missed a beat. I use it frequently, but I'm under no illusions that it is as nice as an interapid or other fine make. Some day when it fails, I'll replace it with something nicer. I do notice that the needle will jump 0.0005" when I change direction when I'm lining up the vise. That would probably drive others nuts, but I'm used to it?

I think a good base is more important than the indicator. I bought a cheapie when I started machining. The cheap plastic knobs broke off the first week. I made some knurl nuts to replace them, and got by that way for over 5 years. It was always difficult to adjust and just plain hard to use. I finally got tired of the frustration and bought a Noga. It's night and day difference! If it was me, I'd save the money on the indicator and spend it on the mag base and holder!

Jim

Buy once cry once. Sometimes it is cheaper to spend more than less. As I get older this seems true more often than not.

An Interapid would be my first choice. And I like Starrett stuff, but their Last Word indicator is not one of them…Good Luck, Dave.

Back