Indicator light bulb 30V

I need one also for the 1440.
Time to grab another cup of coffee and read through this again - slowly.

There you go!
-M

You betcha, piece of cake. And I didn't have to call the fire department.
After switching the wire from the 220v input terminal (#21) to the 240v terminal (#22) the output voltage went from 27 to 24v. Put the last 28v bulb I had in the socket and it is plenty bright. Now we just have to see how long it lasts.

Dan, if I can do this then anybody can. But its a good excuse for another cuppa.

Much appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:
Bulb should last MUCH longer- it's a non-linear curve, a slight change in voltage makes a big difference in bulb life

Just switch to a 24V LED indicator bulb, should last much longer.

See posts #4 and #7.

Now I'm sure that the incandescent bulb will last, cause I bought four spare 28v bulbs to have on hand just in case it does not. Usually when I buy spares of anything they are never needed. :)

Seriously, since my lathe is typical of many 'hobby' lathes (ex. G4003 and G0750) where the default connection to the transformer at the factory seems to be 220v, should the installation instructions not mention something about this (or did I miss something).

220 is very common, 240 is much less common. the machines will ship set up for the majority of typical customers. I do agree that the mannual should make mention of this somewhere as it IS a saleable feature, I guess many machines do not have the transformer taps for different input voltages.

You have not indicated the base only the bulb, I am assuming it is a BA9S. LED bulbs work over a range of voltages and also different bulb configurations, including flat with the base. This one is specified as 24-18V AC/DC, also on eBay but typically questionable quality. As far as transformers, the asian ones often have a fixed tap or two taps on the input for say 220 or 240VAC, the default is setup for 220V. In your case the 24VAC was way high, although the transformer output will vary with load. The other issue is there is a wide variation in AC line voltages and they have cheeped up higher over the years and there can be more voltage swings. Ironically most smaller Asian machine come configured as yours with a 24VAC, and I really have seen bulb failure issue on the power light. On system I build, everything is LED indicators.

The base measures .355'' in diameter so it must be a BA9S base.

Mark, does the transformer supply 24vac for other components (and not just the power indicator lamp)? The question has already been mentioned above but not answered yet.

One of the wiring diagrams I saw showed taps for 220, 230 and 240 volts which leads me to think that there might be a good reason to understand what this is all about.

Some of the first automotive LEDs I have used did not last long and I have wondered why ever since.

Back