Indicator light bulb 30V

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My lathe has a small 30v bulb that keeps burning out. This is a witness light that is on while there is power to the lathe.
The only replacement bulbs I have found so far are rated 28v but they burn out even more quickly. Apparently 30v bulbs are not very common here in North America so what to do?
It is a minor problem but one I would like to solve permanently and move on. Any ideas on where to find the right bulb?
Would a higher voltage bulb last longer?

My lathe has a small 30v bulb that keeps burning out. This is a witness light that is on while there is power to the lathe.
The only replacement bulbs I have found so far are rated 28v but they burn out even more quickly. Apparently 30v bulbs are not very common here in North America so what to do?
It is a minor problem but one I would like to solve permanently and move on. Any ideas on where to find the right bulb?
Would a higher voltage bulb last longer?

Yes, but it won't be as bright, see if you can get a 32V bulb, they used to be common, but not so much now.

What base # is it ? Reason I ask in LED bulbs seem to be a little more flexible in voltage maybe that would be another option

This is the type of bulb base required.
There seems to be a good selection of elongated bulbs but I need the small round bulb like shown in the link above. Thanks for helping.

This is the type of bulb base required.
There seems to be a good selection of elongated bulbs but I need the small round bulb like shown in the link above. Thanks for helping.

This 32 v one from McMaster will be a little dimmer but will last much longer than one rated for 30 v.

Google is your friend...

We needed 24 volt led replacement and was not sure of base type so just started searching and found many interesting things but finally found our base number, next, search base, voltage led and Amazon has many variants.

What we found was exact same size with led, no power supply base, assuming just resistor and led.

Was rated as dc only but works fine on a.c..

The voltage can vary greatly and you can simply add a resistor in the supply line to lower the voltage if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave, checked out your link but found that the bulb is too large.
The OEM bulb is only .425'' in dia.
There probably is a replacement available from the lathe people but that would be a last resort.
My local electrical/electronic supply has all kinds of catalogs for bulbs but was stumped for this particular lamp.
If nothing pans out I might just install a 240 volt light somewhere overhead instead.

You could make an led replacement using the base from one of the burned out bulbs, an led, and a resistor of about 1500 ohms at 1/2 watt or so.
like this: (you could tuck it in a little better than I drew it, and use some epoxy)
retroled.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have a wiring diagram of your lathe? By adding to the circuit a diode(might take two diodes) in series with the lamp may do the trick. That way you can use a 28v bulb. Just a thought.

If the bulb is powered by a.c, a diode will cut the wattage by almost half. This should provide virtually eternal life. If it is d.c. powered addition of a series resistor will extend the life. In both case, brightness will be cut.

Back