Indexable Insert HSS Tool Bits for Mini-lathe?

The 2 tools on the right, 80° L/R turning tools, only need a grind at the front to keep them sharp. For a better finish, you could round the tip by grinding it one pass, very,very,very lightly. That should give a small tool nose radius (you absolutely need a very small radius on a light weight lathe) for a better finish. You will probably over do this and grind a to large radius. I grind mine to a 0.02 to 0.04 mm radius.
For easy grinding, I use stackable jigs to keep the grinding angles always the same. Using the jigs, I can regrind my tools in seconds.
The 2 jigs in the picture give a combined angle of 6° and 60° to grind a metric external threading tool. The 6° base is used for all external HSS tools.
The stone is a €7 "diamond" disk that lasts several years. On the back a stepper motor that runs at 1000 RPM. The long square steel bars functions as rail to move the tool in 2 directions. The short steel square bar is used to keep the 2 jigs aligned together.
View attachment 467435
That's a very creative grinder @Huub Buis . You should document it (if you haven't).
GsT

That will be included to.
I searched for the CAD drawings but could not find them but they must be on file somewhere.
If you use Windows, there's a search program called "Everything" (https://voidtools.com/) that's free and amazing at finding anything on your hard drive. If you use Linux, "fsearch" is based on "Everything". If you use a Mac, heaven help you... ;-)

GsT

None of the tool grinder drawings contains the drawings of the base, grinder, shaft housing, arduino housing, etc. I have to check the backups one by one and that is time consuming.

TPGB carbide inserts will fit your holders. They are better for steel, and probably cheaper than the HSS you are using.

Back