Indexable Carbide Tips and Tricks

I have two sets of the cheap brazed carbide (Chinese) cutting tools that I got with a large tooling lot I bought. They are most notable as having red or blue painted shanks and coming in sets of 6 or 8 in a white styrofoam tray. Harbor Freight sells them, along with many others. The carbide on these seems to be more brittle than other carbide tooling I have. Some work fine, and others don't survive the first pass. I have touched up a couple of them with chipped tips on a diamond wheel, and then they seem to last longer. The 60 degree thread cutting tools seem to last better than the RH or LH cutting tools. Don't know why.

Just my observations to add to your own.

GG

Heres a tip that I want to implement in my shop. I want to take my new carbide inserts and put a dab of nail polish on all the tips, that way I can keep track of all the used edges. I have 40 plus tool holders and I cant keep track of them all in my brain. Thats not even including all the boreing bar holders I swap around. Any one done something like this, and what did you use?

Heck of an idea. I can't think of a better product to use.

Thats getting done this week here. Be good to see if your rubbing the tool as well

SCMT 32.51-F2 TP2500 SECO INSERT
( 180676537937 )
dnforever00717016Feedback percentage of100.0%
Delete item
Add note
Oct-16,12:14 AM PDT
US $5.99
Buy It Now
+ US $5.00
shipping
Buy It Now
Add to cart
try these they work great ebay

Heres a tip that I want to implement in my shop. I want to take my new carbide inserts and put a dab of nail polish on all the tips, that way I can keep track of all the used edges. I have 40 plus tool holders and I cant keep track of them all in my brain. Thats not even including all the boreing bar holders I swap around. Any one done something like this, and what did you use?

My approach has been to mark all worn or broken tips and edges with a red permanent marker. When the whole insert is toast (red) I pitch it. It seems like a lot of work to mark or dap all the new inserts. Does the nail polish stay stuck on the insert till you pick it off?

I have not tried it. What should happen is as you cut some thing the material should clean the nail polish off.

If an insert with nail polish is mounted in the holder it seems like there might be a risk of the insert not seating properly in the holder.

You could easily remove it with nail polish remover. But I'm just talking about a small dot behind the cutting tip.

I don't mark my inserts but I do mark the tip of my drill bits with a red paint marker to remind me that they need sharpening. Maybe I'll use that too to mark the bad edges of inserts if I run into the need.

Usually when I install an insert it will usually stay on that holder until all cutting edges are used. But sometimes I may keep an insert that might be bad for RH turning but still may be good for LH turning. There are certain inserts that I don't throw away even when they are no longer good for turning in the lathe, I put these back in the packages upside down if their not obvious to the eye bad.

Back