Index 745 question

mwhite

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. I have an index 745 milling machine. Today I replaced the belts on it since they were original. I need to install the R8 collet locator pin. Does anyone know what all I will have to do to change it? What all I have to remove? The mill holds collets fine I just want to fix the issue. Thanks

Many folks will tell you that you don’t need it or even that it’s preferable not to have it.

I replaced the pin on my 645 (before I had received such advice) and it required disassembling the spindle.

It seems to be an industry standard to have the pin, I'd expect there's a good reason for it. Put a new one in if you can.

Many folks will tell you that you don’t need it or even that it’s preferable not to have it.

I replaced the pin on my 645 (before I had received such advice) and it required disassembling the spindle.
Thanks for your reply. I have many many years experience repairing all types of equipment. Taking the spindle apart does not scare me if that's what it takes. I believe that the pin is in there for a reason, so I will put it back in. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I will remove the spindle tomorrow and install the new pin. The spindle probably need to be cleaned anyway.
It seems to be an industry standard to have the pin, I'd expect there's a good reason for it. Put a new one in if you can.

Don't bother. Its sole purpose is to keep the collet from rotating while you tighten the drawbar, but its not necessary for that purpose and frequently causes problems inserting or removing the collet, particularly once its gotten tweaked a little. I got tired of fighting with mine and removed it. Much happier now.

I replaced the pin on my Induma 1-S, before long, it sheared again, and I never replaced it, as stated by others, it is really not necessary, and not worth the trouble to replace.

I replaced the pin on my Induma 1-S, before long, it sheared again, and I never replaced it, as stated by others, it is really not necessary, and not worth the trouble to replace.
What's the cause of the pin shearing, if it's only to hold the collet as its tightening? I'd look for that answer.

What's the cause of the pin shearing, if it's only to hold the collet as its tightening? I'd look for that answer.
Trying to do "just a little more" than an R8 is intended for. Usually something like a large diameter (3 in.+) cutter with integral shank and/or heavy interrupted cuts.

I like your machinist's union symbol, I was a member of the union when I served my apprenticeship and was a journeyman in the same shop until I left the shop after being laid off and went to work for another business. I got a withdrawl card and could go back to union membership without a initiation payment, just start paying dues again, but at age 76, that is quite unlikely to happen.

Back