In Search - Rack Pinion Gear SB 10L

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for an excellent condition or NOS Rack Pinion Gear for a SB 10L (Heavy 10)
SB P/N is PT204R1

#32 in the diagram...

1700163782276.png

May have to make one. Good practice. Would take a mill and a dividing head.

I've considered that if I can't scare one up.

Suggestions on the type of material to use if I were to make one?

I may have one, not new.. I needed a new wheel for my SB 9. And this came with it. It didn't fit my apron, it was too large.
So it might be a 10 or heavy 10.
Does this look like yours?
If so, I can take measurements of the shaft.

edit: added image.. sorry.

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_160321283.jpg
    PXL_20231127_160321283.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Was there a picture that was supposed to be attached?

Got it - that's not the one I need - but thank you.
That is number #33 (Hand Wheel Pinion) in the parts drawing and it isn't from a 10L. Mine does not have a stepped down shaft.
Thanks again for the offer.

Is your part #32 missing or is it in bad shape?
If you have one, what is wrong with it? Perhaps there is a way to make it usable again. If you have it, post a picture and I bet you get lots of ideas.
It might be possible to get it working without making a whole new part.

It is working - or will be. I am nearly the final stages of a complete rebuild on my 10L. Just waiting on the bed / saddle / compound to come back from planing & scraping this week. The teeth on the Rack Pinion Gear are worn. They are serviceable but I'd feel so much better with a great condition used part / NOS or a newly mfr's one. I have replaced / refitted / made so much in this machine that it just kind of sticks in my craw that this one pinion is the red headed step child of all the parts in this old war horse. If that makes any sense...

Back