I'm locked out! Lyon Tool Chest

So, if you have a local lock smith there's your answer, just give them a call and they may be willing to come over and get it open in a few minutes for you. Sounds like for all the work involved to move a full toolbox than cut holes in the back it would be worth the cost of a service call. Once you get it open it may be a good idea to disconnect the drawer locking bars just in case it was to happen again. Sometime its worth a few bucks just to save a lot of work in the long run.

Even better idea would be to have at least one extra key made. Along with carrying your original set in your pocket or on a belt clip. Ask me how I know!

It's a toolbox, that's usually a cheap 4-pin single-side tumbler, silly simple to pick. Same lock as a file cabinet, key box, or desk drawer, you usually don't have to walk very far to find someone who knows how to defeat them if you never developed those skills as a teen.

Here's a pic of the inside of a Lyon cabinet. There is a vertical piece 1 inch to the right of the locking bar. This vertical piece is 6" in from the right side. The lock bar on mine moves easily and can be unlocked with a long thin steel by shifting it left. It would also (probably) work by using a wedge shape at the end and just pushing straight back into the space between the locking bar and the vertical piece to its right.

Attachments

• lyon lock.jpg
    lyon lock.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 30
Here's a pic of the inside of a Lyon cabinet. There is a vertical piece 1 inch to the right of the locking bar. This vertical piece is 6" in from the right side. The lock bar on mine moves easily and can be unlocked with a long thin steel by shifting it left. It would also (probably) work by using a wedge shape at the end and just pushing straight back into the space between the locking bar and the vertical piece to its right.
Thanks. Mine is the same. I plan to slim jim it first. If that fails, I'll pick the lock and if all else fails, I'll cut a hole in the back panel. I'll report back, but I won't have a chance until the weekend.

If that's a joke it went over my head. Are the locks special? Why couldn't you just replace them with ordinary locks?
The lock I replaced (lost the key, but fortunately the cabinet wasn’t locked) attached to a rod that moved a bar at the back of the cabinet, similar to the OP’s larger box; so I needed an exact replacement.

The purpose of the post was to indicate that not all toolbox locks would be easy to pick: the medical cabinets were used for ready storage of drugs, so one would expect that they were reasonably secure.

The lock I replaced (lost the key, but fortunately the cabinet wasn’t locked) attached to a rod that moved a bar at the back of the cabinet, similar to the OP’s larger box; so I needed an exact replacement.

The purpose of the post was to indicate that not all toolbox locks would be easy to pick: the medical cabinets were used for ready storage of drugs, so one would expect that they were reasonably secure.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

Back