I'm locked out! Lyon Tool Chest

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yesterday's project was cutting, welding, and drilling angle iron to reinforce the frame stand under my '73 Cuda. I posted the original build a year or so ago. The verticals bolted to the rear shock mounts flexed, and failure appeared imminent. The good news is I finished the job, and the fix is solid. The bad news is about 3/4 of the way through, I was too aggressive in closing a drawer in my Lyon tool chest, and something must have shifted and tripped the locking bar. Now, all of the drawers are closed and locked. I played with it for a bit unsuccessfully. It was the end of the day, and I walked away from it. It looks like it will be a project for next weekend. I never lock the box, and foolishly, I keep the keys in the top drawer, so cycling the lock is out. I doubt I could fashion a Slim Jim of sorts to reach and unlock the bar. It is a vertical bar in the cabinet's center at the back. I fear I may have to cut an access in the back to unlock it. Of course, it is against a wall, with the matching cabinet on one side and the welding table on the other. It will likely take a few hours to move things around and then jack up the cabinet enough to get the pallet jack under to move it. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

If it's full , just tilt it towards the drawers . I just used this method and it works ! :(
Yeah, it's full, and of course, it has all the regularly used tools. I'm not sure how I can get ahold and tilt it, but I have time to think about it. Thanks.

I've never picked a lock before, but it's an option. Thanks.
I go through bouts of intense interest in random things from time to time and lock picking is one of my prior obsessions. I bought a few lock picking training aids (clear locks, cutaways, etc) and lock picks. I went around trying to pick various locks and my sense of security was eroded down to the level of my expectation of privacy on the internet.

When I discovered that I, just some random dude with an hour or two of youtube instruction, was able to gain entry to my house in under a minute, I upgraded to better locks on my house (ones I couldn't pick, but probably someone with more skill than I have probably still could). When I discovered that truck camper locks are so simple they can be picked by anyone with mild passing interest and a couple of paperclips, I stopped storing $10k worth of tools in the back of my truck until I had time to design a solenoid-actuated electric lock system for my camper with a wireless remote control using rolling codes. When I discovered that tool box locks are the same thing they use on campers, I stopped leaving my tool boxes on job sites.

If you have steady hands and a couple spare hours to spend watching youtube I'm sure you can get it open.

I know it's unlikely, but do you have model and serial number(?) of the box? Call Lyons. Get another key. We used to buy a ton of Lyons cabinets where I worked. Lyons had excellent customer service. And supplied me with an extra key.

I know it's unlikely, but do you have model and serial number(?) of the box? Call Lyons. Get another key. We used to buy a ton of Lyons cabinets where I worked. Lyons had excellent customer service. And supplied me with an extra key.
I tried that when I bought them, but they couldn't (wouldn't) help me. I removed the lock and had a local LS make a key for it. For him, it was quick and easy.

Back