If You Were To Start Over

Well my need to buy list is gradually increasing. I'm going to start shopping around and building up wish lists. The wife is allowing me to spend $1k on tooling at the moment. I know I can spend more than that on tooling and supplies, so I want to get the stuff that I dont already have but I will need.

Get the good measuring tools and cheaper (but not crap) tooling. For example you will get good results with a $20 - $40 imported keyed chuck. It won't be as enjoyable to use as $100 keyless import, or a $400 integral shank keyless Albrecht, but it will get the job done.

Made a few wi
Get the good measuring tools and cheaper (but not crap) tooling. For example you will get good results with a $20 - $40 imported keyed chuck. It won't be as enjoyable to use as $100 keyless import, or a $400 integral shank keyless Albrecht, but it will get the job done.

Spoke to my father in California. Apparently he has a friend that owns a machine shop that doesn't use crap tooling. He told him about my new machining adventure. His friend is putting together a box of stuff for me. Including measuring tools. I already have Mitutoyo calipers and micrometers, among other stuff. I will check out what all he gives me before placing any orders. And Im a firm believer of buy once, cry once. I rather spend more money up front on a good tool then buy a crap tool over and over.

I won't go into specifics because that is simply one person's opinion vs. another persons. Highly subjective. :)

I will say that from my experience I would say spend the money for quality when buying items like measuring tools, and save in other areas where it's not so important (hold down kits, etc.). Also keep in mind that you're a hobbyist, not a paid machinist making aerospace parts (if you are, my sincerest apologies...) And sometimes 'good enough' is just that. Unless your goal is just to have bragging rights in the tooling forums... ;)

And Im a firm believer of buy once, cry once. I rather spend more money up front on a good tool then buy a crap tool over and over.

I'm the same way, that's why I said cheaper and specifically stated not crap. It is nice to have some lower end stuff on hand at first though, every now and then you will have to do something questionable that you really don't want to use a high end tool for. Like scribing lines with calipers for example.

I won't go into specifics because that is simply one person's opinion vs. another persons. Highly subjective. :)

I will say that from my experience I would say spend the money for quality when buying items like measuring tools, and save in other areas where it's not so important (hold down kits, etc.). Also keep in mind that you're a hobbyist, not a paid machinist making aerospace parts (if you are, my sincerest apologies...) And sometimes 'good enough' is just that. Unless your goal is just to have bragging rights in the tooling forums... ;)

Well I'm not going to be making aerospace parts, but I do like nice things haha.
I'm the same way, that's why I said cheaper and specifically stated not crap. It is nice to have some lower end stuff on hand at first though, every now and then you will have to do something questionable that you really don't want to use a high end tool for. Like scribing lines with calipers for example.

I agree. I have some cheaper quality calipers and other tool that I keep around for rough jobs. And honestly, some of my cheaper measuring tools are pretty dang close to my expensive ones. But the expensive ones feel so much better. Especially the calipers. They feel as if they're on air bearings, the cheaper ones felt rough from day one.

Spoke to my father in California. Apparently he has a friend that owns a machine shop that doesn't use crap tooling. He told him about my new machining adventure. His friend is putting together a box of stuff for me. Including measuring tools. I already have Mitutoyo calipers and micrometers, among other stuff. I will check out what all he gives me before placing any orders.

If I were you, I'd check out what you get first. Odds are it will be pretty good. If so, I'd ask your father's friend if he had any of the items you need that he'd be willing to sell. Let him know you'll pay a fair price for them.

Most professional shops replace equipment and tooling a lot. Ask your dad if he'll handle shipping them to you thus saving the shop owner the hassle. It might be a good way to get some good deals.

I am going to wait and see what he gives me before placing my orders. Im sure most, if not all of it is in good condition stuff. My father will be sending the box of free tools along with some other stuff my father has for me. Hes sending me a 3hp 3,200 rpm motor for a project I've been wanting me to do. Thankfully he got the motor for free from his work and can ship it for free from his work. That wouldn't be a cheap shipping price thru usps. Haha

My mother in law will be at my house while I'm out of the country. So hopefully she signs for the packages and I come home to what will be like Christmas.

Think about some ER collets. Figure out the proper series for the first sizes of round bar material you will work with. You can make your own chuck for them.

Well my need to buy list is gradually increasing. I'm going to start shopping around and building up wish lists. The wife is allowing me to spend $1k on tooling at the moment. I know I can spend more than that on tooling and supplies, so I want to get the stuff that I dont already have but I will need.
Lots of good tooling on Ebay, post there what you are looking for and they will send you notifications when something pops up.

Back