Identifying Local Craftsman FS

Atlas/Craftsman machines can cut a very wide range of threads including metric- and the charts make sense (unlike some import machines)
so if it came with a full set of gears I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a change gear machine to a beginner. Saves money initially and the
experience of working with individual gears helps with the overall understanding IMO
Then one could move up to a QC machine later as funds allow
-M

You can add a QCGB to these lathes fairly easily can't you? Sears sold the QCGB separately and the Atlas / Craftsman lathes seem to be the most common that I see this done, so assuming it is a pretty strait forward project. Of course there are also a lot of them out there which contributes to how many I see being converted.

I don't think a lack of qcgb is a deal breaker. I made as lot of cool stuff and learned allot over 8 years with a jewelers lathe and then an Atlas 618. I can't tell you how pumped I was to get the atlas and not have to hold the motor down in a cut. I learned how to single point threads on that lathe, both SAE and metric. That's not too say I'm unhappy to have a qcgb now, but lack of one shouldn't be a reason not to buy a certain lathe starting out.

Agree, particularly if seen as just a starter lathe purchase with the idea that it will eventually be replaced with something else. Buying a "forever lathe" then a QCGB would be high on my list of options.

I’ve looked long & hard for a QCGB for my SB9 for many years, no joy yet.
I do have change gears, it just takes longer to set up. I can live with that.
What I couldn’t live without is a thread dial, but these are relatively cheap & plentiful.
If I still did this for a living I couldn’t live without a QCGB, but then I certainly wouldn’t be using a small SB or an Atlas eithe, but for a hobby guy (like me) these lathes are fine.
Just my opinión of course

Hold out for something better.

It is a babbit bearing machine and from the symmetrical legs, probably a 101.07381 made in 1937 (only). I would recommend a pass on it.

If you are OK with a change gear machine, look for a 101.07383 (Babbit Bearing) made from about 1939 to 1945 or a 101.07403 (Timken Bearing)
made from about 1940 to 1957. Neither of these use the difficult to find (if you need it) 96 tooth Change Gear, Aside from the spindle bearings, the only other significant difference between the two is that the 07383 does not have power cross feed and the 07403 does. Another difference between the two is that Atlas made a QCGB kit from 1947 until sometime in the 1960's that can easily be installed on the 07403 but to install it on the 07383 you also have to convert to power cross feed or I'm not sure.

Back