Identifying Local Craftsman FS

Rathmatik

Registered
Registered
Howdy,

Someone in my area is selling the below Craftsman lathe. I'm trying to figure out which model this is and whether it's a good option as my first lathe.

I'm trying to get a model number or more pictures, but still waiting for that info.

Does anyone know which model this is?

Thanks!

1653312954662.png

It's an early 12" change gear model. It's a good machine. I would hold out for the model with the quick change gearbox.
Even better is the later 12" with QCGB
-M

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds like a better option then. I thought it seemed to be missing some features, so perhaps that would add to the learning curve.

From the bolts and bearing caps, it also has babbit spindle bearings.

Not sure about the bearings on that particular example- but you want the Timken roller bearings for sure
Having the quick change gearbox is nice to have but not essential
-M

Last edited:
IMO, the lack of a QCGB makes the task of learning to thread much more complicated and difficult. I would not recommend a lathe without one to a beginner, and I don't know any experienced machinists who would choose a lathe without one.

Atlas/Craftsman machines can cut a very wide range of threads including metric- and the charts make sense (unlike some import machines)
so if it came with a full set of gears I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a change gear machine to a beginner. Saves money initially and the
experience of working with individual gears helps with the overall understanding IMO
Then one could move up to a QC machine later as funds allow
-M

I don't think a lack of qcgb is a deal breaker. I made as lot of cool stuff and learned allot over 8 years with a jewelers lathe and then an Atlas 618. I can't tell you how pumped I was to get the atlas and not have to hold the motor down in a cut. I learned how to single point threads on that lathe, both SAE and metric. That's not too say I'm unhappy to have a qcgb now, but lack of one shouldn't be a reason not to buy a certain lathe starting out.

Back