Ideas for Storing Very Heavy Lathe Chucks?

Now I might be posting too many links. This looks like it is probably not junk, but I would have to save up for it:

The size and weight capacity of this one seems perfect for two 12-1/2” OD lathe chucks:

Here is the single version:

6EBEAFC4-4DF6-4843-A6F0-C4DB5D39FCFC.jpeg

Now I might be posting too many links. This looks like it is probably not junk, but I would have to save up for it:

Be aware that things like hydraulic tables and carts seem to be a bit over optimistic on their weight capacity. I'd hate to put over 500 lbs on my 1000 lb hydraulic table, just wouldn't trust it. So derate what they say by 50% so you don't have a flimsy item. The cart might handle it, but the tires might give you a hard time.

Be aware that things like hydraulic tables and carts seem to be a bit over optimistic on their weight capacity. I'd hate to put over 500 lbs on my 1000 lb hydraulic table, just wouldn't trust it. So derate what they say by 50% so you don't have a flimsy item. The cart might handle it, but the tires might give you a hard time.

Such a great point!

I ended up buying 2 of these, one cart for my 4J independent, and one cart for my 6J scroll:

I tried to search around for a better price, but they are only sold on one website. I also failed to find a coupon code.

Shipping was only $15.76 for both. Order total was $256.07.

Looking at the photo, I am going to have to make a wood, foam or Delrin insert. I don’t think Delrin is a smart choice due to the high cost of Delrin.

I would like to make a wooden box with a yoga-mat foam D1-6 “6 camlock pattern” insert.

6D8B2030-83DD-4359-9314-E039DDF2B097.jpeg

I have the 1000lbs Harbor Fright unit and use it all the time. I don't think it is best option for storing things. It's too high to store anything on it under a table. I would think a specially made card for your chucks would be better. You could make it narrow to fit up against the wall or low enough to fit under a table or bench.

You posted while I was typing.... Those carts look like they will work just fine.

500 lb one is flimsy. 1000 lb one is ok. I used the 1000 lb one to move 400 lbs of machinery on a pallet, from my wife's hatchback to my side porch. The wheels are polyurethane coated. The coating comes off on a 400 lb load leaving bare steel wheels. The carts do take up a bit of room when not in use, but are really handy when you need one!

Either you got a bad cart, or they're made far differently today than they were a few years ago. I have both the 500 lb. and the 1,000 lb. cart. I regularly use the larger one to haul loads of 750 lbs. or more with no problems. I used it to move my power hacksaw (750 lbs.) and my Sanford surface grinder (650 lbs.) from the truck to the garage. It's also used regularly to haul machine parts from the garage to the truck.

The 500 lb. one resides in the shop and normally has a 225 lb. rotary table and a 125 lb. chuck on it. I use it to transport tooling to and from the mills and lathes.

Back