Ideas for Storing Very Heavy Lathe Chucks?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I just bought a lathe chuck that weighs 165 lbs. I am soliciting ideas on how to store this and another chuck that weighs 140 lbs. I also don’t have a place to put my 5C collet chuck on D1-6 backplate.

I use a tool post crane to switch between chucks. I would like a *cart* to wheel over to the lathe when I do this.

The tool post crane chain *does* reach down to the floor if I end up choosing a very low cart (like a furniture dolly).

I am currently using a Miller TIG Runner (welding) cart to store the 140 lb chuck, but this cart really is too narrow for a 12-1/2” chuck. It looks like a tipping risk!

I am considering either a huge rolling cart, or a hydraulic cart.

I’m not sure what benefit I would get from the hydraulic cart other than being able to lower it down when not in use, this in order to lower the center of gravity so that it doesn’t tip over.

I have needed a hydraulic cart once in the past, for the purpose of removing my benchtop mill off of it’s stand. I still need to repaint and re-level this mill stand.

A huge cart would almost certainly be in the way. A benefit from this would be a lot of much needed storage on the bottom.

I wish I had time to build a cart to my specifications, but I have projects that I’ve been working on for 3 years that are stalled due to long hours at work.

After posting this, I am starting to lean toward the hydraulic cart so that I can use it for that other (milling machine stand) project.

the benefit of the hydraulic cart is if you need to store it and whatever's on it underneath something when not in use. Otherwise a standard cart would give you more storage space. You could even make the bottom row slide out on a couple of 100lb draw slides so you can still access stuff on the bottom shelf with your crane

This is what I meant by a large cart. The weight capacity is 500 lbs.

7D383B38-036C-40C8-AF9E-269D5863C151.png

Last edited:
I store all my chucks in the base of the lathe. My lathe has a cabinet on the headstock side and tailstock side. I lined the bottom with wood and made cradles so they don’t roll. I keep them there to add more weight to the base.

Here are the Harbor Freight hydraulic carts:

and

500 lb one is flimsy. 1000 lb one is ok. I used the 1000 lb one to move 400 lbs of machinery on a pallet, from my wife's hatchback to my side porch. The wheels are polyurethane coated. The coating comes off on a 400 lb load leaving bare steel wheels. The carts do take up a bit of room when not in use, but are really handy when you need one!

I installed a tram rail over my 19" lathe ( a barn door track) and used a HF electric hoist to handle chucks, I store them at the left end of the headstock on the floor on a wooden cradle, it works well.

a hand crank shop platform straddle lift would be best in my mind---you could easily make one using cable winch or gear and roller chain. or watch for a used one in your area. it would work for all areas in your shop.
Dave

Now I am looking at buying 2 of these for the super heavy chucks. It can be adjusted down to 16 inches square.

The weight capacity is 400 pounds, and they are very affordable.

EDIT: A lot of the reviews mention that this is junk. I won’t go anywhere near this.

Last edited:
Now I am looking at this. I’m trying not to end up with junk.

Back