Ideas for Scroungers

Every junkyard needs at least one or 2 junkyard dogs

DSC_4053.jpg

Wow George- I had no idea microwave capacitors were so dangerous..

Bernie

Hey Bern, if it looks like a bear can in there with wires stickin out of it, stay away never the less drink it. If you do, short it with screw
driver- its amazing how long these hold a charge. When I was a kid we use to attach caps to 2 small window screens and watch bugs fry.
In my wildist dreams did we ever know we invented the bug zapper which was not invented yet. I'd be a millionare, but we were just
playing back then. Days running my train set from the phone wires thus crippling the neighbor hood. Oh- 0 - green Bell telephone truck
out side. Didnt go over big with my old man. Ah life in the early 1950s. And static phase converters they got two beer cans in there
whatch out. They will kick you into the next state if you touch em................

- - - Updated - - -

Every junkyard needs at least one or 2 junkyard dogs

Actually my junk yard buddie has two J Y C's junk yard cats

Where do you guys get scrap cast iron from?

I'm wanting to make a surface plate and eventually try to make some castings.

Well,if there was a BEAR can in there,I'd definitely stay from it!!:) Reminds me of the nearly blind guy who thought a mad dog was a beer,and tried to blow the foam off!!:):):)

Yes,unless you are an electrician,stay out of those microwaves. That includes ME. And I DO know what a capacitor looks like!:)

Sailors horsing around used to toss a hot capacitor to an unsuspecting new guy.

Last edited:
aaablade pics 002.jpgaaablade pics 001.jpg
Why would you kill a file cabinet ?
Use it fill it with the stuff you collect.

Steven--when you get so much stuff collected and you have no more room for a file cabinet in your plumb over-filled shop and storage areas----then--instead of throwing it out and you need sheet metal for a project---then you cut it up and don't have to go buy sheet metal---flat pieces of sheet metal are more compact than a cabinet and can be stored easier-----I am at this point with a lot of resources and have to be better at compressing materials to utilize space.---sometimes good items are no longer in demand in their current shape and we that like to be good scroungers--find all the other good uses for the internal parts---that's why this thread is so interesting--so others can reap the neat ideas of the very thrifty scroungers----there are a few very good resources that others may like to find out about.---I buy all the roller blades that people have at garage sales for a dollar or less, and remove all the nice wheels and bearings and use these in my projects---the wheels can be shaped on your lathe and work for many projects--for instance- rollers for your homemade bandsaws, tensioners, drive wheels, cart wheels, and the uses go on and on--they have excellant bearings in them also--we all know how much new bearings cost.--also the tough plastic used in these shoes are very tough good stuff that can be machined for small projects, and the nice axle bolts are very handy to keep.
Another idea for members that have smaller lathes ---I take a carbide saw blade and with my angle grinder with a thin cut-off blade cut the blade into small lathe cutoff blade shapes to be used in special made cutoff tools--then I can sharpen the small carbides or reshape them to whatever shape I want.--you can drill holes in the blades to mount them in or on the end of boring bars--I find them to be very nice as cutoff blades, and they are very cheap--just think--how many small tools you can make out of an old 20 carbide tooth 10" blade--you can also mill the shapes you want after you cut the blade shapes up with your angle grinder----Us good scroungers are filled with these Ideas and we are glad to share them with all who ask---we can't use all the cheap resources so we will make sure other thrifty members keep these resources from just going to the trash--happy hunting---Dave :)) :thinking::thinking:

aaablade pics 001.jpg aaablade pics 002.jpg

Last edited:
speaking of barbells

25 # weight and a bar
some dom tube +misc and you have a gun rest ;-)

0307032337.jpg0307032349.jpgDSC00650.JPGDSC00656.JPG

0307032337.jpg 0307032349.jpg DSC00650.JPG DSC00656.JPG

Made an ER collet chuck from a barbell collar

Scored a nice brass fireplace tool set - almost 1/2" OD by 25" long but the center of the holder has 3 rods twisted together.

Any idea how to straighten them?

er25 chuck.jpg fireplace set.jpg

Last edited:
Back