[Metrology] Ideas for home-friendly surface plate stand

The purpose of the three mount method, in the designated places, is to minimize inaccuracies caused by sagging of the granite plate due to gravity. We are talking about very tiny inaccuracies here, but then the plate is more than accurate enough to make a difference if you are using it to its capabilities. The plates are calibrated mounted on those same points...

I agree and I think it was sometime during the 1960's that the specs were dictated for, when or how on granite surface plate manufacturing. While machining is a weak link in metal working, my exposure has been full. My father-in-law would say; come on I need to go over to ---insert name-- shop and see if my project is finished. I got the tour of many machine shops, from high tech automotive to high tech aerospace and back to NHRA shops. At the time the cast iron surface plates seemed outdated compared to some of the granite plates. I only remember about three shops with cast iron plates but they were cordoned off as if they were sacred, and they were all much larger than any of the granite plates. The granite plates were black for the most part but a few shops had pink and black so my **why** kicked in. At the time I got the answer to the space under the bottom of the granite plates but not the technical detail.

The point in my comment is that many folks don't understand that more than three support points have the potential to stress the plate, plus the same three points are used when the plates are manufactured, along with any of the three points being high or low (out of level) don't increase of decrease stress to the plate. I was always being schooled, probably because I had the two year old **whys** always engaged because it was very interesting. My father-in-law was born in 1912 and his family moved from Pennsylvania to Los Angeles in the early 1920's. His father and grandfather were machinists, plus the changes he saw over his life time and career fill volumes. The generation who saw the first flight and then on to witnessing the first man on the moon is mind boggling.

Now I need to go look at how the cast iron surface plates are supposed to be supported. I know many metal objects were affected by WWII and the war effort, a few positive and negatives of both types of surface plates, but I never gave much thought to how they are supposed to be supported.

Now I need to go look at how the cast iron surface plates are supposed to be supported. I know many metal objects were affected by WWII and the war effort, a few positive and negatives of both types of surface plates, but I never gave much thought to how they are supposed to be supported.
Cast iron surface plates usually have the three mounting points as part of the unitized castings they are made from. They also have webbing designed to impart strength and rigidity with relatively light weight. Cast iron surface plates are often taken to the work and used upside down or vertically to spot other surfaces for scraping.

Cast iron surface plates usually have the three mounting points as part of the unitized castings they are made from. They also have webbing designed to impart strength and rigidity with relatively light weight. Cast iron surface plates are often taken to the work and used upside down or vertically to spot other surfaces for scraping.

It's been a while since I did any research, but the idea that some shops who do their own scraping and calibrate their plates, use a set of three plates to insure accuracy, just makes me feel smarter. :D:D

Kudos to them for doing the the leg work and establishing a standard. Using the third plate to eliminate the duplication that could occur when using two plates seems like overkill at first thought, but the only way to insure accuracy is too eliminate inaccuracy.

Wow, lots of replies since i posted this! Thanks everyone for the input - lots to digest :)

I think I'm planning to build a stand from scratch. It will likely be a welded angle iron frame with hardwood or hardwood-veneer panels. Still working out the details, and the actual build will need to wait until exams are out of the way in a few months, but that's my starting point.

The house is a detached 1950s build. As far as I'm aware, the underlying structure is in good shape. The stand will have at least 4 large feet, or i may give it a felted flat bottom to spread the weight more evenly. It will be placed up against an interior load-bearing wall and it should span at least 3 joists, so i think it should be fine weight-wise. In terms of lifting it onto the stand, I'll have 3 burly friends helping. The 4 of us should be able to lift the 2 FGEs without too much trouble :)

Thanks again everyone!

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I did any research, but the idea that some shops who do their own scraping and calibrate their plates, use a set of three plates to insure accuracy, just makes me feel smarter. :D:D

Kudos to them for doing the the leg work and establishing a standard. Using the third plate to eliminate the duplication that could occur when using two plates seems like overkill at first thought, but the only way to insure accuracy is too eliminate inaccuracy.
For most work that mere mortals do these days, a granite surface plate of the proper grade is used as a master for the cast iron surface plate, which is then scraped in as perfectly as is needed for the job. The three plate method, for cast iron surface plates, will keep you busy fussing with plates instead of doing anything else. You will also get Popeye arms lifting, turning upside down, and gently setting them on each other to spot them, then breaking loose the suction without ruining the markings, over and over and over and...

Back