[Metrology] Ideas for home-friendly surface plate stand

leeko

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I've managed to convince my wife to let me move my 2ft x 3ft x 6" surface plate from the garage into the house. It will go in our spare bedroom which was converted into an office.

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on a cabinet/stand for the surface plate, that won't look too out of place in the office. We have cherry floors and all wooden furniture, so I'm thinking at least a partial wood appearance would be good. I understand the need for sturdy and stable support - the plate weighs around 500lbs. Ideally, I'd like some storage above the plate too, for metrology tools, surface gauge etc. A matching hutch would be perfect, as i think i have enough real estate on the plate to sacrifice a little.

Looking forward to seeing what solutions others have come up with!

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

There's just no end to the means tool addicts will go to make sure their collection(s) are kept in a controlled environment. :D

Therapists say only a drug addict can convince you they are putting the cookie back when caught stealing. Furniture...... Reallly? It's a good thing you went for the office and not the kitchen, where your surface plate would be used as a cheese board.

A stand can easily be made (or adapted) to fit the decor. A similar cover for the plate will make it disappear to a casual look. The bigger issue in my mind is getting the 500# plate onto the stand in that room...

A temperature controlled room is a great place, but if you are on a wooden floor with joists below (rather than slab) is your structure in good shape? No termites, no sloppy mods to the building.
I would use a metal stand, and dress it with wood, or just paint it nice. Some drawers below to store your metrology stuff. And of course a cover (hard) to protect it when not in use.
Like Bob K said.
... how you going to lift it? Using an engine lift? gotta enough room for that in the spare bedroom? That's a nice size piece of granite.

... how you going to lift it? Using an engine lift? gotta enough room for that in the spare bedroom?

One of the low profile Hi-Jacks the fireplace installers use for inserts or a hydraulic lift table will make quick work of the move. I agree, the foundation is an issue but I'm sure that's factored in.

A stand can easily be made (or adapted) to fit the decor. A similar cover for the plate will make it disappear to a casual look. The bigger issue in my mind is getting the 500# plate onto the stand in that room...

Thirty years ago many of the kitchens in Taiwan substituted for a machine shop or vice versa.

Wondering what people think about sunlight and expansion and contraction of metal.
Perhaps this isn't an issue in Leekos application. But, regardless I'm curious.

Daryl
MN

Your wife is very cooperative, is she planning on rolling dough on it?
You might end up having to eat homemade pies and pizza.

Seriously, the cabinet will have to be extra solid. A hutch is a great idea to have everything handy.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Wondering what people think about sunlight and expansion and contraction of metal.
Perhaps this isn't an issue in Leekos application. But, regardless I'm curious.

Daryl
MN

I think it's always a factor when we look at measuring and some of the tolerances called out in machining, so the items we use to measure with need the attention of where and how they are stored, and I'm sure you know this. Since you asked the question we have to consider how he will measure the items he brings inside from the shop, unless the shop is conditioned the same as his office, aka; new tool room. I have experienced quite a few occasions where management chose to take a shortcut regarding specs called out in expansion joints detailed by the architect and engineers. e.g. Florida, aluminum gutter, dark brown anodized and the rivets were sheared off every 30-40 feet in two to three days. These were long runs on storage buildings on a military base. My storefront windows are siliconed into the aluminum extruded frame and they begin to moan and groan around 3:30 every afternoon, no matter the season. I think aluminum is affected the most and the quickest based on conduction and convection. Although convection wouldn't be an appropriate stated heat transfer definition for aluminum, it seems close when we look at how it conducts and how quickly it dissipates heat. When I TIG weld stainless steel I use an aluminum backup when possible and just the reverse if I'm welding aluminum.

PS. I had an in-law who made lots of aircraft parts for the military. He always make sure he kept the parts away form the east side windows of his shop come inspection time. The Go-NoGo inspections could get tricky.

Last edited:
Back