Ideal Size Dividing Head For Vn 12

On the 7.5", it's a 3" 3 jaw mounted on a Hardinge 5v mounting plate, found it on eBay. It came from a VN lathe. On the 10", it's the original 6" Cushman 3 jaw Chuck that came with the unit. Both units are ground for the C taper collets though the 10" uses an adapter for this.

The machine and 10" came together, and I stripped both of them and repainted with urethane paint. Color was an arbitrary choice.

I picked up a new B&S-1 DH at Grizzly last week. Fits real well on the VN 12, but is way oversize for my Burke#4. So big I fact, on the Burke, there is almost no room for the work. So,have decided to take it back and exchange it for the smaller B&S-0. Mainly because the Burke is almost back in running condition after a rebuild and repaint and the VN needs some more work. I only plan on making some arbors and collets and a few stud gears initially, so the BS-0 will do those jobs initially. Once I get some actual experience under my belt with the VN probably will pick up a larger capacity DH for the VN. Also, decided Iam not interested in buying an old used DH off EBay and then not have the dividing plates , and/or tail stock etc, which are nearly always missing. So, the small one it is then, I think...

Glen,

That sounds like a good plan; especially when you see EBay sellers wanting $250+ for a Tail Stock for a DH.

Mike

Back