Ideal Size Dividing Head For Vn 12

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all, just brought home a Grizzly BS-1 diving head for use on my VN 12 and maybe on my Burke #4 (if it fits).

I am wondering if the BS -1 is a bit to big for the VN?? Just taking it out of the box and sitting on the table, looks like I have 6" maybe 7" of vertical clearance from end of the VN head to center of the DH.

Am I better off taking this back and picking up their smaller BS -0 size ??? The smaller unit would provide maybe two more inches of clearance, but is much less robust.

I went with the larger unit as it is more robust - but now I see possibly very limited clearance with the work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Glenn B

Hi all, just brought home a Grizzly BS-1 diving head for use on my VN 12 and maybe on my Burke #4 (if it fits).

I am wondering if the BS -1 is a bit to big for the VN?? Just taking it out of the box and sitting on the table, looks like I have 6" maybe 7" of vertical clearance from end of the VN head to center of the DH.

Am I better off taking this back and picking up their smaller BS -0 size ??? The smaller unit would provide maybe two more inches of clearance, but is much less robust.

I went with the larger unit as it is more robust - but now I see possibly very limited clearance with the work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Glenn B
=====================================================

I have a VN #10 mill. It has the VN dividing head, that was bought for it originally. The distance from the mill table, up to the center, is 4". I see that the BS-1 is 4.875". You gain on the work diameter, but loose 7/8" in overhead clearance. I think I would go with gaining the overhead clearance, and giving up some of the maximum work diameter. ---- John

Thanks John,

I don't imagine I will be turning very large diameter stock. I guess I am still debating whether the smaller BS -0 is a better fit than the larger BS -1. It weighs about 30# less, and has yet more clearance - maybe 2" if memory serves. However I wonder if the smaller size gives up to much rigidity in work holding given the size and power of the VN 12for the gain in overhead clearance??

I haven't run the VN 12 yet, do to needed repairs , so don't have any practical experience on the machine yet to judge...
Glenn

Thanks John,

I don't imagine I will be turning very large diameter stock. I guess I am still debating whether the smaller BS -0 is a better fit than the larger BS -1. It weighs about 30# less, and has yet more clearance - maybe 2" if memory serves. However I wonder if the smaller size gives up to much rigidity in work holding given the size and power of the VN 12for the gain in overhead clearance??

I haven't run the VN 12 yet, do to needed repairs , so don't have any practical experience on the machine yet to judge...
Glenn
===================================================

I would tend to think, that the size of the fixture, is related more to work capacity, than to the HP of a machine. 400 rpm, on an 8hp machine, is the same as 400 rpm, on a machine with a half HP motor. The larger machine won`t care, how small the fixture is. The smaller dividing head is designed to handle its maximum capacity. At least, that is my way of thinking. ---- John

Glenn, What do you anticipate using the dividing head for? Will you have your VN12 in horizontal or only vertical position?
As John said the larger dividing head will allow you to mount a larger piece of work from the table to the center of the DH. The only time I run out of vertical space with my 22L is when the DH is set at an angle and using the mill in the vertical position with end mills, when trying to make some custom "muzzle brakes".
I think the deciding factor on keeping what you have or trading it in for the smaller unit will be if the BS-1 fits your Burke. If it does I'd keep it if not swap it out. A DH is too expensive not to be able to use it on all of your mills.

Mike

Attached is an excerpt from a vintage VN flyer.
I've not ever actually seen one in person.
Looks like OEM was a 4inch chuck.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Attachments and Accessories for Van Norman Universal Millers.pd.pdf
    312.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your suggestions and comments. The VN flier is very interesting. Their VN DH is a very close size to the B&S -1. As to what I might do with the diving head - certainly I plan to make few collets and arbors, and cut some gears. The big thing is Murphy's law of machining- at least my version of it: you have no idea what you will make until after you start....and new possibilities open up. So I don't really know what I know I will be doing, once a I get into using the mill. I Do plan on developing horizontal milling capacity, as well as use either/both for vertical milling as well. So I fully expect once I start to build some experience with the bigger VN, projects I haven't thought possible might become a reality. Hence my debate about the larger versus the smaller unit.

The Burke #4 I picked up recently is still Disassembled, but with a fresh coat of paint. So I will be hastening to put it back together in the next few days, so as to see if the B&S -1 will work with the table and column height. I suspect it won't. Gut feeling. And if not, probably will exchange for the smaller unit. grizzly is only 90 miles away, so not a major deal to drive up and pick up a new one...

I also have a Crystal Lake OD grinder, recently purchased, that might offer some interesting possibilities for using the DH to grind custom parts for the locomotive restoration. Looking forward to experimenting...

Cheers
Glenn

I actually have both of the VN models. I like the 7.5" over the 10" because of the direct indexing. I really don't need both, however I am keeping both just because.

IMG_20151008_203414522_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150905_194850823.jpg

I bought the only 7.5" one I have ever seen, the 10" ones seem to appear fairly regularly.

Jason

Jason, fine looking machine! What size chuck do you maybe mounted? Also, curious about what paint you used and the color scheme? Something to aspire to.

Glenn

I had a BS-2 was way to heavy to work with
Late I pick a BS-0 works great for odd numbers I use compound indexing
If you need greater swing use put blocks under the BS-o dividing head and still lighter to put on the mill
I use a 5" chuck and I have a 8" chuck for larger work

Dave

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Glenn B

Back