I want to sell my mini mill

Shawn,

You can certainly do good work with a round column mill. Many guys own them and are doing just that. You just have to be aware of the shortcomings and be willing to work with them. There are a few other options available. As you've said, there are some pretty good square column bench top mills that would likely work well for you. Also, there are a couple of very nice knee mills that have a smaller footprint than the typical BP style knee mill. One very nice machine is the Burke/Millrite and others were made by Hardinge, Rockwell and Clausing, so you may want to do some research on those. I fully understand the space limitation issue because I have a very small work shop myself, but with a lot of time spent moving things around and experimenting with various arrangements, I've managed to fit a lot of stuff into a pretty compact space. My shop is only 11 1/2 feet wide and I have a BP mill with the 9x48 table and there is a workbench directly across from it and I still have more than adequate room to safely operate the machine and walk around. There was a thread on this forum that a guy was building his shop inside of a bedroom, doing a very nice job, and if I recall correctly, he had a knee mill in there. You may want to search for that thread or maybe someone else here can direct you to it. At any rate, I hope you find a machine that will work well for you.

Ted

I emailed the Cincinnati mill guy for more info. See what he says.
I already told the comet guy no go... It's just too big. It would take up all of my usable space in the garage. And I don't just machine out there. I need to keep a bit of space still. I know it's a much better option than the First, but it just won't work.

Emailed him already. No answer from Wednesday. And the Cincinnati mill is the same 5x5' footprint.
Still waiting to even hear back how big that First column mill is.
I reaaaaaaaally dont want to completely rearrange my garage. The only wall it would fit along is chest to ceiling shelves FULL of crap. Uhg. So much stuff to move.

I reaaaaaaaally dont want to completely rearrange my garage. The only wall it would fit along is chest to ceiling shelves FULL of crap. Uhg. So much stuff to move.
It's got to be done, but once done you'll have a better idea what actually fits in there. most of milling machines available on Kijiji seem to be way too big for a home shop. Grizzly /BB knee mills are hard to find.

Herea the corner that would have to be cleared out...
Where the mini mill sat. Feel me now? Haha

IMG_20170712_224226.jpg

That space where the lathe is seems more suitable for a big mill but it could be the angle the pic was taken from ,if the lathe is moved on the side where your mill used to be, that might open up the corner near the stairs.

Sir, I had no considered that...
However, My garage is only 10' wide, the mill would literally take up half the garage.

I wish I could just busy a big hole in the wall and let the long end of the turret stick through to outside. Haha.

Let me you around with measurement tonight while I wait for more replies from various sellers.
I also found a buyer for a bass guitar I don't okay anymore which would open up funds for a VFD if necessary.

Back