I think this is my next project car

But I can't "drive 55" yet. For some reason my brake pedal isn't solid. Feels good like no air in the system, and doesn't pump up, but sinks to the floor. Also feels like there is very little travel on the pedal. I really don't remember how it felt for my initial test drive last year. I have completely brand new lines, and the flex lines are braided stainless. Thinking the master went bad.

Maybe some time this year I'll show Sammy Hagar how to "drive 55" ;)
You know, I determined a number of years ago the breaks are not important..... until the thing starts moving.... then they are essential....

You know, I determined a number of years ago the breaks are not important..... until the thing starts moving.... then they are essential....

Well back in the day all we thought about was going faster, brakes just slow you down right? :p

We did some sketchy **** back then and brakes were not #1 on our list. One guy I know had a camaro and put some wheels on the back and they didn't clear the disk brakes. So he removed the calipers and bent over the brake lines and hammered them shut so it wouldn't leak.

I'm surprised I survived it all. One of us didn't.

Windows seem to be fixed now. Was a bad ground through those damn jam-tac connectors. I could check continuity to ground through them, but as soon as I tried to use the windows the ground disappeared. So I removed one spring loaded connectors used for a ground and replaced it with a wire with some small loom over it. So far they now work great. I fully and completely regret using the jam-tac connectors.

Well onto the next thing......err...............problem.

:p

Last edited:
Well back in the day all we thought about was going faster, brakes just slow you down right? :p

We did some sketchy **** back then and brakes were not #1 on out list. One guy I know had a camaro and put some wheels on the back and they didn't clear the disk brakes. So he removed the calipers and bent over the brake lines and hammered them shut so it wouldn't leak.

I'm surprised I survived it all. One of us didn't.

Windows seems to be fixed now. Was a bad ground through those damn jam-tac connectors. I could check continuity to ground through them, but as soon as I tried to use the windows the ground disappeared. So I removed one spring loaded connectors used for a ground and replaced it with a wire with some small loom over it. So far they now work great. I fully and completely regret using the jam-tac connectors.

Well onto the next thing......err...............problem.

:p
I remember when all for corners had drum breaks and at speed they were likely not to stop you. Had a friend that bought a Bug and went to JC Whitney and bought the 100mm jug kit, that thing was impressive as long as slowing or stopping were not required. He built it into a baja bug with the big tires on back and pipe racks front and back and his father made him install seat belt and it was a good thing to because when you cannot slow down and your going to fast around the corner you'll roll them and they roll like a pool ball with a flat side...

Back then we were not worried about survival, we were all 10 foot tall and bullet proof; or at least that is what we thought....:rolleyes:

Back then we were not worried about survival, we were all 10 foot tall and bullet proof; or at least that is what we thought....:rolleyes:
I remember when I turned 30 I couldn't believe I'd made it. I'd survived the Marine Corps, a heavy truck wreck and all the stupid sh*t I'd done. Then later came cancer (twice) and a stroke., and 2 ex's. It's a figgin miracle I'm alive still at 65.

I guess the old saying is true, only the good die young.

Hmmm.............maybe I should write a song about that. Might be a big hit :cool:

Had a few Harley choppers back when with no front brake, and a pretty much useless rear drum. Stopping is why God gave us manual transmissions. To this day I rarely use the brakes on my bikes, and no more than I have to on the cars. Mike

Took her out for a drive today. Put about 25 miles on her. Went pretty well. I changed the plug wires for some god awful expensive ones that holley recommends to prevent he energy electrical interference with the fuel injection since I already had problems with that on the speedometer. It helped but didn't totally cure the speedo problem. I have some metal flexible loom that will be here tomorrow to cover the wires to the dash with. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The steering has zero feedbackwith the r&p setup. I really don't think there is much I can do about that. I do have the coil over setup I was given to install. But the car already has tubular lower arms on it. I'm hoping the new upper arms have more positive caster built into them.

The tires I think are old and hard. Feels like they have flat spots in them from sitting, but tread is good and at this point it's not a priority to replace them. Ideally I'd like a set of radial TA's.

Still work in progress, but making headway on her.

FYI: My American autosound radio sounds like crap. Not sure if its the head unit or the speakers.
20230625_165545.jpg

Is it true that radials require closer to 7 degrees of caster vs bias tires? I have read that but internet is filled with mis information.
Pierre

Took her out for a drive today. Put about 25 miles on her. Went pretty well. I changed the plug wires for some god awful expensive ones that holley recommends to prevent he energy electrical interference with the fuel injection since I already had problems with that on the speedometer. It helped but didn't totally cure the speedo problem. I have some metal flexible loom that will be here tomorrow to cover the wires to the dash with. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The steering has zero feedbackwith the r&p setup. I really don't think there is much I can do about that. I do have the coil over setup I was given to install. But the car already has tubular lower arms on it. I'm hoping the new upper arms have more positive caster built into them.

The tires I think are old and hard. Feels like they have flat spots in them from sitting, but tread is good and at this point it's not a priority to replace them. Ideally I'd like a set of radial TA's.

Still work in progress, but making headway on her.

FYI: My American autosound radio sounds like crap. Not sure if its the head unit or the speakers.
View attachment 452000
That is beautiful, 55 is my favorite of the shoe box Chevy's....

Well crap and more crap, and double crap. Can you tell I'm ******?

Just tried to fire the 55 up with the sniper injection and it did fire, ran very badly, right header was very hot and was making the header wrap smoke it got the exhaust so hot. Leaked fuel all over the intake manifold. Called holley and it's under warranty, but 5-6 weeks to repair it.

So there goes my cruising season. I joked with someone my new target date to go cruising was 2026. That may end up being accurate unfortunately. :bang head:

20230809_145320.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, Dan. What a mess.

I held my tongue during your build about the Holley EFI, especially since the money was already spent, and now you've learned the lesson the hard way. The Holley EFI systems from the very first 4-barrel TBI have been less than stellar. I see them on cars at shows, but not on drivers. Had friends tell me about 6 mile per gallon economy.

I'd like to recommend a better solution. Pick up a Megasquirt PNP for the Chevy LS (the computer), and use GM standard sensors. Choose a multiport intake you like and just run a simple throttle body. Then ditch the distributor, use LS coil per plug from a crank trigger, and you'll never hear a stumble or misfire again. Okay, you have to tune it first and run a pair of wideband O2 EGO sensors. But all costs totalled, it won't be too much more than you can get from selling your Holley. Then you can enjoy peak power and good mileage. And cold start driveability. And the off-idle performance of a modern car. There's learning to do in the process, but if you already know what you're doing with air, fuel, and spark, you will pick it up fast.

Back