I need/want an Arbor press

It occurs to me that a small amount of height could be gained by making the slot in the bushing deeper, allowing the broach to start on the second or third tooth. An extra shim would be required to make up the difference on the final pass.

Somehow that just seems like common sense. Once something under compression starts to bow it's ability to resist force falls off very rapidly. Same idea as is used in building design for columns. That's why all the reference charts use slenderness ratios. The ratio on a broach is pretty extreme!
Agreed, though never has a Bend Moment chart been posted next to an arbor press.....nor transpose into visual & tactile feedbacks pushing a broach.
As I often mention in re machines and tooling, the care taken is first proportional to who paid for it; then, how hard they worked for the cash to do so.

Here's a cheat, provided care is employed in setup and use; with a decent size lathe, the tail stock has a screw of significant size, and generates considerable pressure...

Only $85? I was fortunately NOT nearby when a $1800 spline broach did same thing...but heard it and expletives that followed.

This thread made me wonder about broaching. Seems like this style might work well... This one is an import, no idea if it is any good, but does the style seem like a good option?

Comparatively high priced for an import, when domestic used is all over the web; craigslist, facebook marketplace, offerup. I'm sure there are many more. Prices span from .25% retail on up.
Go by the specs; 3t + depth and working height, some are missing the yoke plate, but any one reading these pages should be able to fabricate their own.

Back