I need a second opinion on a steady rest

Why...

Yes indeed I would be interested if it were for a 10", and thank you very much for the consideration! If I do secure one by whatever means, the 9" I bought will be for sale for what I paid, which was $100. It is in near mint condition mechanically as far as I can see. A little greasy, probably from sitting in the chip pan all its life, but looks to have been little used, if at all.

If it fits your machine, that is an awesome price! I would have rolled the dice too. Good score.

GG

Clive,

From the parts list name, the pins could be Groove Pins (see the McMaster online catalog for photos of several types). If they are the most common type, when cleaned up you should be able to see a tiny "V" on the OD of one end. Press it out from the other end. But besides the interference fit, you could also have corrosion to contend with. Soak them in Kroil or something similar for a day or two before you try to press them out. As Splat said, they went in so they have to come out.

Robert D;

Clive,

From the parts list name, the pins could be Groove Pins (see the McMaster online catalog for photos of several types). If they are the most common type, when cleaned up you should be able to see a tiny "V" on the OD of one end. Press it out from the other end. But besides the interference fit, you could also have corrosion to contend with. Soak them in Kroil or something similar for a day or two before you try to press them out. As Splat said, they went in so they have to come out.

Robert,
Thank you that is exactly what they are. Each pin has three little "V"s visible on one side. Now knowing what they were, and which way they were supposed to come out, I felt more comfortable with increasing the amount of force which forced the pins out with no damage.
Clive

Clive,

Glad that you were able to get them out. FWIW, as the diameter of groove pins decreases, they go to two grooves and then to one. But the same principal applies. They should always be driven back out the way that they went in. I once broke the bottom cover latch ears off of a BC-611 case because someone had put the pin in backwards, and I didn't check first before trying to remove it.

Robert D.

It was indeed an 11" but it arrived broken. The lower right quill is snapped off. Whats the old Hee Haw song "If it wasn't for bad luck... I'd have no luck at all". So looks l will have to contact the seller for a refund and ship it back to them. We will see how it goes. :bawling:

It was indeed an 11" but it arrived broken. The lower right quill is snapped off. Whats the old Hee Haw song "If it wasn't for bad luck... I'd have no luck at all". So looks l will have to contact the seller for a refund and ship it back to them. We will see how it goes. :bawling:

Broke in shipping? Wow, that’s kinda hard to break! I’m curious, could you please tell me the carrier and how it was packaged. Thanks in advance.

It was shipped UPS and pretty loosely packed in shredded newspaper and small pieces of Styrofoam in a cut down diaper box. There is no real damage to the box but with as heavy as it is, a few hard drops might have done it. Or if you love a conspiracy theory, the seller may have broken it removing the rusty screw (see picture on lower right bolt) and shipped it UPS so they could file a claim. Either way i'm very disappointed about loosing it, they are not easy to find let a lone with such a good deal. I considered just keeping it and having it repaired but the welding shops I contacted locally said they would be worried about the fix holding. Shipping it somewhere to be fixed would likely cost more than just buying another one in good condition.

Back