I need a second opinion on a steady rest

FeOxide

Registered
Registered
I saw this on ebay and think it looks like a Logan 11" steady rest the casting marks kind of look like they could possibly be AC 291. Any feedback would be appreciated.

$(KGrHqN,!lUFBgGg-ncyBQo49OhOcg~~60_57.JPG$_57.JPG$T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufWVZBQo49V,eNg~~60_57.JPG

Thanks,
Kelly

$(KGrHqN,!lUFBgGg-ncyBQo49OhOcg~~60_57.JPG $_57.JPG $T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufWVZBQo49V,eNg~~60_57.JPG

Hey;

I'd say it is definitely a Logan steady. The critical measurement is obviously from the flat base to the center of the opening. I just bought a perfect one for my 200, and unfortunately it turned out to be for a 9". No fault of the seller. He didn't know. You takes yur chances sometimes. I'll have to decide whether to adapt it or keep looking. If that one measures roughly 5.5 from base to center, it looks good!

I rolled the dice and offered $60 and they accepted my offer so now I guess I wait and see. Thanks for your help.

I rolled the dice and offered $60 and they accepted my offer so now I guess I wait and see. Thanks for your help.

That was a good roll!! Even if it is for a 10" you'll be able to sell it quick without a loss. In fact, if its a 10" ... I think Relineman is looking for one.:whistle:

Well I will get it cleaned up and get the measurements to confirm the size and if its a 10" I'll pass it on for my break even price $60 + the shipping I paid. Relineman can have first right of refusal.

Tool- in the pictures I can see a cast mark that looks like either AC 201 or 291 so I may be in good shape, Thanks.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone here figured out how to dismantle a Logan steady rest. I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the two pins, one that acts as the hinge and the other as the swivel for the locking screw. In the manual they are described as "Drive Lock Pins". I tried to knock them out with a drift but they don't budge and I don't want to force them, so any suggestions as to how they should come out would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Clive

Slightly off topic, but has anyone here figured out how to dismantle a Logan steady rest.

I don't own one Clive and it's hard to tell what type of pins they are from the pics. If they're roll/spring pins then you can drive them out from either side. If they're drift pins then you must determine which end is the bigger and drive it out from the smaller end. Good luck.

I don't own one Clive and it's hard to tell what type of pins they are from the pics. If they're roll/spring pins then you can drive them out from either side. If they're drift pins then you must determine which end is the bigger and drive it out from the smaller end. Good luck.

Hi Splat,
Thanks, but they don't appear to be roll pins and there is no discernible difference in diameter between the two ends. There is absolutely no movement when trying to drive them out from either side. I am stumped.
Thanks,
Clive

I'd get some Acetone on them to clean them up. Maybe they are drift pins but the dirt makes it hard to tell???? They have to come out some how.

Back