I need a second ( and a third, and a fourth... ) opinion

As I understand it the weight limit for the Bridgeport table is 750 lbs. so even the largest RT shouldn't be too much of a problem. I personally wouldn't leave it on there for any length of time though. If a job comes through that needs it, mount it to the table, run the job, and get it back off.

As it's way beyond "back breaker" size you have a number of options for lifting it on/off the table. You could make a rolling cart on which you could place the RT, roll it over to the mill, match up the table height to the cart, and slide the RT on/off the table. If it's not going to be used a lot I would just use a shop crane like the one below to get on/off/move it around. (Hint: That "L" bracket attached to the RT was probably used for this.)

41IaeIu%2B6xL.jpg

2-Ton "foldable" shop crane from Harbor Freight or any other source.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

41IaeIu%2B6xL.jpg

As I understand it the weight limit for the Bridgeport table is 750 lbs. so even the largest RT shouldn't be too much of a problem. I personally wouldn't leave it on there for any length of time though. If a job comes through that needs it, mount it to the table, run the job, and get it back off.

As it's way beyond "back breaker" size you have a number of options for lifting it on/off the table. You could make a rolling cart on which you could place the RT, roll it over to the mill, match up the table height to the cart, and slide the RT on/off the table. If it's not going to be used a lot I would just use a shop crane like the one below to get on/off/move it around. (Hint: That "L" bracket attached to the RT was probably used for this.)

41IaeIu%2B6xL.jpg

2-Ton "foldable" shop crane from Harbor Freight or any other source.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Ron thanks for that capacity reference; that's great.

As for lifting it you read my mind through my words. I was over at HF earlier today pricing their hoists. I don't expect to use that particular RT very often. I don't need to move it just this minute so I'll wait for a HF sale...

Jerry

41IaeIu%2B6xL.jpg

I checked out your site also, a lathe addiction pales against your model addiction. Neat! You can bring those over to my sandbox anytime.

I checked out your site also, a lathe addiction pales against your model addiction. Neat! You can bring those over to my sandbox anytime.

Hey thanks for the kind words and addiction is a kind way to put it.:))

Coming to your sandbox might just happen one day. I still think about moving to Wyoming. If California becomes any more 'different' I may
just pack it all in and leave. I was thinking in and around Cody somewhere.. I just don't think I'd get accustomed to the cold winters. Heck
it's hit the 20s here and we're all crying in our Egg nogs.... my hands dry and crack as it is. Any colder and I'll be freeze dried.

Jerry

Hey thanks for the kind words and addiction is a kind way to put it.:))

Coming to your sandbox might just happen one day. I still think about moving to Wyoming. If California becomes any more 'different' I may
just pack it all in and leave. I was thinking in and around Cody somewhere.. I just don't think I'd get accustomed to the cold winters. Heck
it's hit the 20s here and we're all crying in our Egg nogs.... my hands dry and crack as it is. Any colder and I'll be freeze dried.

Jerry

Jerry keep in mind tubal cains brother Jan lives in Cody..........also as far as table weight, its no different than a V8 block on the table,
we do it all the time. Usually its my two boys if not its the cherry picker, as for me no way ......sam

Jerry,

Even if it wasn't too late I could not be part of any intervention, I'm still in denial myself.

You made the right choice! Based on everything I've seen you got quite a haul for the money.

Sure they may need some clean-up, lubrication and organizing, but you will get many years of satisfaction from them.
And if the rotary table is too big for your purposes, I'm sure someone else would give it a home.

Any pictures of the "big drill press"? Is it a radial drill?

brino

i have the exact same dividing head on my shop floorright now. was planning on cleaning it up some time around feb, at least that is what i am telling myself. if i get to it, i'll post pics of the clean up for you (dont expect a nice paint job though, it'll probably get the kraylon touch in black and then back onto the mill.

Any pictures of the "big drill press"? Is it a radial drill?

brino

So far no photo of the old drill press. I didn't have the presence of mind to take photos of it the first and only time I saw it and it isn't
easily accessible. I'm hoping that before too long I'll have it tucked away and then I'll take as any photographs as I'm able. I'm sure
someone here will know exactly what it is. To me it seems very old.

On that rotary table I'll probably never use it for it's truly a beast but keep it anyway just for the sheer coolness ( read insanity )
of having it. Any you know the Corollary to Murphy's First Law of Getting Rid of Stuff - 5 minutes after it's gone I'll have a need for it.
The only time I'll be certain I'll have no use for it is when I've kicked the bucket ( even then who knows?) and then it will be some other person's boat anchor!

Yeah I'll take the safe course of action and keep it. I'd like to see that clean up project toag.

The haul, I like that! Below are some other photos of the miscellaneous photos of it:

IMG_0212.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0214.JPGIMG_0220.JPG

Jerry

IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0220.JPG

Well? What is happening in May?? I hope you are having a great time with these.let us know something

As it turned out I sold the Le Blond. I had some regrets in doing it as it was such a nice machine but the
truth of it is I didn't really have a use for it. The good part is it went to a great home with someone who I know will take
care of it. The new owner already has it powered up and is very happy with it...

I still have the mill which is what I really wanted in the first place however circumstances may require me to sell it as well. If I could find a reliable and reasonable way or service to move it when the time comes I might keep it.

Jerry

Back